Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Where did they put it in WF2, AGAIN!

phoxeoy

I can't find where I can erase unwanted lines in my drawing. In 2001 I just used mod_view - displ_mod - edge displ - erase lines or something like that. I can't find it anywhere in Wildfire 2.0. I HATE THIS CRAP
smiley7.gif
Menu Mapper is no help. I double click the view but I just don't see in the menu options that come up where I can do this. This, I've got to find it crap is really slowing me down!

Its under drawing view properties. hilight the drawing view, go to edit properties, ( or right click) it brings up a dialog box that you control view type. view display and other such features. I know its a pain. i kinda had to stumble across th is myself

I disagree with both phoxeoy and fletchtim. WF 2.0 is altogether a new interface and ptc has worked hard to make things simple and efficient. I think the drawing portion of WF 2.0 has greatly been improved. I worked on 2001 for 3 and a half years but it took me only a month to completely switch over.

Israr

Im agree with Israr. I also understand the pressure in the work place when things are not done on time.

Can I suggest you give Wildfire 30 days then make your judgements.

john

fletchtim said:
Its under drawing view properties. hilight the
drawing view, go to edit properties, ( or right click) it brings up a
dialog box that you control view type. view display and other such
features. I know its a pain. i kinda had to stumble across
th is myself

Hello, this is my first post here. I am the engineer who was
responsible for the definition and design of the drawing package -
among other things - for Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 2.0.

To answer the question, the controls for the display of model edges in
drawing mode are under View > Drawing Display > Edge Display.

The rationale behing moving Edge Display out of the drawing view Properties UI was as follow:

In the past, you would edit the properties of a drawing view, select
Edge Display and then be able to pick an edge on any view in the
drawing, including a view different than the one you are modifying. It
may have been convenient but it made no logical sense.

Since "Edge Display" - and all the other commands that are under View
> Drawing Display for that matter - are drawing-wide options, it was
decided to move them out of the drawing view properties UI.

Hope this helps,

Edited by: nhostein

Israr,

I disagree with both phoxeoy and fletchtim. WF 2.0 is altogether a new interface and ptc has worked hard to make things simple and efficient. I think the drawing portion of WF 2.0 has greatly been improved. I worked on 2001 for 3 and a half years but it took me only a month to completely switch over.

Alright, do we get browne points for every good thing we say about Wildfire? Look, if you been sitting in front of Pro/E for countless years I just don't think it should take 30 days to relearn. 1 or 2 days at the most. I mean if its so simple and efficient as you put it. I know what you are saying and I know I will be using Wildfire like its second nature sooner or later but the transition is a little to much I think. I understand change is good but this was not a change, its total new.

nhostein,

Answer this one for me, In assembly I can create display styles, (blanking parts, assemblies) tell me how can I use them in drawing mode.

I would like to be able to have several views that display various parts blanked, for example, one view that have all guarding blanked, another view with major frame parts blanked, etc. Having all views being able to support having balloons shown.

If you use simp reps to acheive this than the table balloons are not able to be shown across the differnt simp reps.

Tell me how can I do this.

Dan

dhelton,

sorry to say but for a moment I felt "was listening to BBC world and without changing the channel the radio itself started Voice of Germany"

Just start a new topic under the Drawing Forum and maximum readers will respond to your posting.

phoxeoy,

Look ptc customers demanded the shift from command-driven ProE to altogether GUI interface, and the changes reflect only this things plus enhancements.

So I would say you don't need a month but a week if you are 2001 user and want to shift to WF things.

Israr

Hello Dan,

I do not believe the Assembly Styles are supported in drawing mode in
Wildfire 2.0. I know it was discussed during the development of 2.0 but
it was decided not to do it (a mistake in my mind). Now I am talking
from memory here as my current company in on Wildfire 1.0.

So, the only option you have to achieve what you want is to use
Component Display (View > Drawing Display > Component Display...)

"I understand change is good but this was not a change, its total new."

Some people think not enough of the interface was changed over. I think PTC did a pretty good job with the transition from complete menues to icons, I hope WF3 finishes the task.

"do we get browne points for every good thing we say about Wildfire? Look, if you been sitting in front of Pro/E for countless years"

No browne points here, telling the truth. There are alot of people that I talked to that didn't mind the transition over to WF2 and they have "countless years" under there belt to along with me (over 15 straight years 8-12 hrs/day).

I remember when I switched over to Wildfire about 2 years ago, it was frustrating for the first 2week or so ... so give a chance

I have gave it a chance, I started the transition with Wildfire 1.0 now 2.0. I love it when someone says that it was the customers that demanded the changes. Pro/E for years was the leader, the package everybody else tried to emulate. It seems to me when Wildfire 1.0 came out it was a follower. A little bit of Solidworks and little of this and little bit of that. I would really like to find the guy who "Demanded" that they change how you zoom, pan and rotate. There is a lot about Wildfire I like also some I don't like.......so what! You skip along doing just fine untilyou come across something that you know how to do but you just can't seem to find where the command is. As I said, if it was so simple then logic should tell me where the command is but instead I go fishing. Oh BTW if I still have to select View - Drawing Display - Edge display to erase lines then thats still command driven.

phoxeoy said:
Oh BTW if I still have to select View - Drawing Display
- Edge display to erase lines then thats still command driven.

Sadly, you are completely right. PTC definitely lacked vision and did
not lead the User Interface revolution that the MCAD world experiences.
You can probably blame this on Dick Harrison and Jim Heppelman for
prematurely shifting resources to Windchill instead of focuing on its
core business: Pro/E.

For the past few releases, PTC has catced up somewhat nicely in Part
and Assembly. However, Drawing mode has had limited resources
assigned to it - Management does not realize the importance of the
drawing package - and it shows with a mish-mash of new and old commands.

Don't get me wrong, there are really talented people in the design team
behind Pro/E - eh, I was one of them until recently :) - but there are
just not enough of them. And after the numerous rounds of layoffs,
there are even fewer now
smiley19.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back