Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

WF 5.0 Launch

SRINIVASANIYER1

I hear a lot about WF 5.0. Have PTC formally launched it?
Our company being under active maintenance, would like to
upgrade before it expires...
smiley36.gif

The website says "WF 5.0 is here" and has been changed at the beginning of this week, but still it's not available from software update, there's somewhere a note saying that it will be available for download "late September"..

So, WF4 was previewed at teh 2007 PTC|User conference and introduced in January of 2008. It's 2 years later that WF5 is introduced at PTC|User 2009 and almost 2 years from launch to launch.

So, if you bought Pro|E at the conference in 2007, sold on all the goodness of the WF4 to come, you paid half a year's maintenance before you got what you had bought. Then, you paid two full year's maintenance, which includes 'upgrades', before you got a single upgrade.

Remember the days when a year's maintenance got you two new releases? Now it's the opposite, two years maintenance for one new release.

The value of your maintenance expenditure has dropped precipitously in recent years. There is more incentive to skip paying it and less justification to management to keep it up. PTC needs to address this mismatch before their customers start dropping off like flies.

Agree with dgs. We used to have TWO releases for a year's
maintenance. At least in India the support is very good.
Here where I am presently located, the support is minimal.
As for training, many a times I feel like walking up and
train my personnel myself; not to talk about the hot air
the trainers blow.
I hope it is next week. I will have to do less explanations
to the management then.PTC should really re-consider their
30% annual maintenance fee. It should be waived off at
least for the year of purchase.

SRINIVASANIYER1 said:
PTC should really re-consider their

30% annual maintenance fee. It should be waived off at

least for the year of purchase.

In the ancient past, a license came with a year support & subsequent support was either 12 or 15%, I forget. However, you spent $25K on a license for a lot less capability than you get today with Foundation (or whatever marketing is calling it now).

Personally, I don't want to go back to the old days of two unusable releases per year. Stable code is far more important to me. I don't use the newest version till they get to about M150 anyway.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back