Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Welding Pls answer

Vinom

Hi All,

Im stuck with a drawing which as a welding symbol.I cant findthe type of weld.

What it is/What does it mean?

And how do I model it in Pro/Engineer?

View attachment 5736

Thnx in advance

Vinom

Symbol looks like a doubble flange butt weld (or edge flange butt weld, not sure about the english words)

I dont use welding symbols in Pro/E though.

That is a flange-edge weld, far side, all-around. The 141 is likely a company weld reference referring to the type of process.

Pro has this symbol in the weld symbol library, it is called an "Edge_Flange" weld symbol.

Srini, If it were a field weld, it would have a flag, not a circle.

Edited by: dross

dross said:
Srini, If it were a field weld, it would have a flag, not a circle.
Yes dross, we are both right. Some companies show a Filled Circle for "Field weld" and a normal circle for weld "all around". I do not know if it is derived from ISO system of weld symbols. AWS indication is a Flag. I shall check in Proe for the symbol.
Edited by: SRINIVASANIYER1

@dross: e.g. pipes transpored to site, located in position and then welded. This is just an example of a possibility. We can comment only when we know the shape of the components being welded.

What I mean is what symbol would you use for an all around weld performed in the field? If you're using a filled dot for a field weld, you wouldn't be able to see the non-filled dot (circle) used for the all around.

Interesting that it says that it is from the American Welding Society.

In all my years of engineering, I've never seen that symbol for field weld.
Our symbols come from the American National Standard (ANSI), which is sponsored by the American Welding Society. ANSI states the symbol should be a flag.
I wonder if something was lost in translation?

@Vinom: I really deserve a treat for the below link.

http://yusuf.mansuroglu.com/Welding_Symbols_on_Drawings.pdf

The weld is to ISO standard. 141 refers to TIG Welding. Probably the components are SS. The weld symbol indicates that the toe of the weld shall be blended smoothly.

@Dross: the link above gives a comparison of ISO and AWS. Both the standards have Flag for Field weld. The last I used welding symbols was 25 years ago. It is possible that was an Indian Standard which could have been a British legacy standard. These days, Indian Standards are brought inline with the ISO standards. It is possible the symbols too have changed.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back