Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Volume Of a Part

jdw5076

This may be a stupid question but I can't think of a simple way to figure this out.

Ive know if you go under the Evaluate Toolbar and click Mass Properties, it will give you the Volume of your part. However, the part I created is hollow and I want to know what the outside volume of the part, or in other words, how much volume does the part take up.

Is there a simple way to do that? Ive thought about creating a mold from it but my part does not pass the Draft Analysis and I cant change the shape of my part.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

JD,

Is it a surface model you are working with? If so, you can fill it easily by selecting insert>boss/base>thicken. After you select the enclosed surface, check off the selection for "create solid from enclosed surface". This option will not pop up if your enclosed volume has any gaps/overlaps, so double check your geometry...

Once it's a complete solid, do your mass props, then delete the thicken feature.

Jim
http://www.linkedin.com/in/shawengineering

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back