Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Volume measurement

scottm

I've got a double walled tank. It is a shelled solid (the surfaces of the solid representing the inner and outer walls).

How can I calculate the volume both of the inside of the tank and of the space between the walls? I'm shelling inward - so if I take the volume of the solid it would be wrong...

I"m mostly interested in the tank volume- if Pro-E was boolean it would be easy - but...

Scott

How about supressing the shell - calculate 1

resume the shell - calculate 2

subtract 2 from 1

tcpx said:
How about supressing the shell - calculate 1

resume the shell - calculate 2

subtract 2 from 1

It is double walled- so that might work for the "gap" volume, but it still won't work for the inside volume. The un-shelled solid is still "hollow". What I would like to do is a boolean subtract of my part from a big cube, and than measure the volume of the various pieces left over.

dr_gallup said:
Create a surface from the inside and make it solid.

I don't have surfacing - unless this is something I can do in Foundation. Can you give me another nudge towards the answer?

Thanks - Scott

Create the big block you want to.(probably a solid exactly the size of the outermost mold line)

Create an assembly of both, do adv utils cut>out and you you get the boolean you are looking for. Make sure the large solid covers everything.

kvision said:
Create the big block you want to.(probably a solid exactly the size of the outermost mold line)

Create an assembly of both, do adv utils cut>out and you you get the boolean you are looking for. Make sure the large solid covers everything.

I tried that, but how do I "discard" the unattachedextra pieces? I miss Cadkey...

I miss Cadkey... LOL!!!

I'm trying to figure out the inside volume of a fuel tank also... Had to take the areas of the surfaces, and do some calculating.

This should be an easy thing to check, but isn't.

scottm said:
dr_gallup said:
Create a surface from the inside and make it solid.

I don't have surfacing - unless this is something I can do in Foundation. Can you give me another nudge towards the answer?

Thanks - Scott

I think you can do this in foundation. I did this a few times, not for complicated shapes but don't see why it shouldn't work for complicated ones.

I created a part, then insert / shared data / copy geometry from other model. Follow the messages and select all the interior surfaces. And solidify the part.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back