Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Very good rendering .... Any comments ....

That sure looks like one very uncomfortable chair. It would seem to want to rock side to side judging by the gap between the stand and the floor and if you sat in it you'd probably be on your butt before you knew it.

Nice rendering though 8^)

How do you access Pro/Concept?

i'm with red_devil on this one.

i've tried a number of times to use Pro/Render, but with no success. I always end up with a crappy looking part in that dumbass room with the windows.

I've tried to use Pro/Help, the web, even logged a call with PTC tech support to try and learn how to use it, but again, got nowhere.

does anyone know of any GOOD references on how to use Pro/Render?

For me it was just messing with PhotoRender.

I been using PhotoRender for about 5 years continously and the only thing I really change from rendering to rendering is the lighting, the lighting is the toughest part to doing a great rendering.

If I use the room I use a white jpeg for the 3 walls and pick something nice for the floor 'cause I think the part or assembly should be shown in its natural environment.

If I'm having trouble rendering and assy w/ perspective so that the assy doesn't look like it's sitting on the floor I use a simple block that has the top, front & right sides removed using the shell command, that block is now my room and I map the textures I want to use on the walls and floor.

One last note, if you use transparency with Self Shadows the transparency will come out foggy so it's not adviseable to use.

If anyone has any question maybe I could help just email me.

Brian

Bet ARX was used for that rendering. That's the only way your going to get real photo quality renderings out of Pro/E.

Renderings look good Chad.

Wondering if any one else has had problems with rendering in Wildflower.

I find that everytime you render a detailed object with internal ribbing using perspective and self shadows the image is very poor and some of the internal detail shows through.

The first time you render the image it is fine but if you render it again, just looks very poor.

PTC said they had fixed the problem, but l'm using build 2003330 and it is still there.

Anyone else had this problem?

John.

I have found that getting a decent rendering is a matter of trial and error. Sometimes you get it right quickly, other times it can take me a day to get anything worth showing. I have found the lighting setup much much easier in Wildfire than in 2001. It makes it easier as you can see where the light is and where it is pointing.

I generally use white walls and put something nice on the floor.

Does anyone have any kind of 'standard lighting' setup or any helpful tips on lighting?

Chad, can you email me you color map & textures :). By the way, your renderings look cool!

Jeff

Using white walls is a mistake, remember that even although these aren't visible, what's on them gets reflected in the model.

I agree that using white walls is usually not the best idea. I tend to use NASA space pictures or pictures of swimming pool water for my walls & ceiling as they usually create interesting reflections in the part. I have also used a picture of jelly beans to reflect in a chrome part that turned out pretty nice. You just have to get creative, try using google's image search for some interesting ideas. It takes some experimenting as different parts need different lighting & different reflections. It generally takes around a day to create a good quality rendering for me unless I am forced to create new textures, that can eat up a day or so as well spent scanning materials, searching for pictures, creating alpha channels...etc. Hope all this helps!

Chad

I mainly use NASA space images too for side images but swimming pool water sounds promising.

View attachment 311

I usually turn-off ambient light first before anything else and use the cast shadows to judge where to position my lighting.

Also look at the background image to judge how to position lighting - like the Starship Enterprise image above the lighting had to emanate from the left side of the background image.

Think leaving bare walls is the #1 rookie mistake.

I need to add a chromed appearance to some buttons, does anyone have the colour/reflective settings for such an appearance.

cscheutte, I assume you use standard Pro/render for your images?

Jeff

That spine chair was done by Tim Harrison @ ptc using photolux within pro concept. Hes had lots of practice.

Mike

Has anyone have any experience with using decals? I use the decals on renderings of MP3 players & digital radio's etc, but when they are rendered, they text/logos are quite dark.

Any tips?

This is the image I get.

View attachment 315

Thanks in advance

Jeff

I have not had much luck with PhotoRender either. I get tired of the Box. I typically export out STL files into my 3D Studio Max program. You can do a lot more with this program than PhotoRender. What's nice is that you can export an entire assembly out as an STL file, then import them individually into Max with out having to reassemble it.

I have found that decals are tricky, subject to your lighting. Are you using the .TX3 format? sometimes this helps.

As for lighting resources I can recommend www.3drender.com there are some tutorials for using 3 point lighting as well as adding color to lights. I usually use 3 point lighting, occasionally omitting the backlight. The book Digital Lighting & Rendering by Jeremy Birn is excellent.

Number one tip for rendering : Turn off all ambient (default) and directional lighting and add spotlights one-by-one for the desired effect

View attachment 313

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back