Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Register Log in

variable x section diameter

puppet

here is the problem

imagine a 600ml coke bottle. with out all the ribbing but the basic outline of it, sitting on a table.

now at different hights from the table i want to make a x-section and find its diameter. and then use this diameter to drive some external features. reason being that bottle shape will change frequently so i wish to only update the bottle and have all external components dirived from that.

i tried to do it with a analysis feature to tell me datam curve radius at that x-section but when the x-section moves up and down. it gives me a computational error where i have to respecify the datam curve.

anyone have any ideas of a better way to approach the problem?

regards.

PupPEt

Israr

Puppet,

Can you attach the file so that I could help you? I have different solutions , in my mind, for this problem but first I want to know what exactly you want.

Israr

puppet

hey solved this one myself

1)i draw up the bottle. and then offset afew datum planes going up the bottle.

2)then create a datum curve through the bottle at the point of each curve

3) create a field point each the datum curves

4) create a analysis feature measuring the distance from the field point to the centeral axis of the bottle ( giving radius @ a relative hight)

5) use the analysis feature in the assembly model the drive the other componentes with the diameter of the given heights.

so now all i do is copy the entire assembly drawing to another directory. and modify the design of the bottle. then update the assembly few times and presto :p

idealy it would be great if i could just be given a model of a bottle and then copy over my datam planes, points, curves and anaylsis features to every given model.

would that then be a skeleton model?

kvision

Using say 4 datum curves to define the shape of the bottle exterior and then use 1 vertical curve down the center of the neck. Use the vertical central curve as the trjectory and 4 other curves as the curves for the cross section to stick to.

Create a single field point on the central curve. Create a plane through the point parrallel to the base. Create a point in the plane using the plane and one of the four curves (crvxsrf) Group these together and make a User DEfined Analysis feature. This will give you all the info you need. If you also create a surface with a circular curve then you can also get cross sectional area of the bottle at every point. Use one sided volumes to find the FIll Level at any pont. This is a common problem in the container industry.

View attachment 412

Sponsor