Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Using parameters from assembly in part

dutchy

I use WF3.0 and import parameters from a text file in assembly level. I then want to use these parameters on part level. Of course I can import the same parametersfor each part but as this is a template for an assembly that gets itsdimensions from a spreadsheet calculation and because I want anyone to be able to use it that would get very tedious (I would hate writing a procedure for that
smiley5.gif
). Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've done it, another thread mentioned about using dimension variables using "part number" i.e. d10:1 designates dimensiond10 of part 1 at assembly level, rather than specifying dimensions at part level you directly "poke" the dimension of the part at assembly level. So at assembly level I would import the text file with parameters in "initial" and in "post regeneration" I would assign the parameters to the dimensions of the different parts. I.e.:

d0:1 = x

d0:2 = y

do:3 = z

(I guess you get the picture)

Now I can generate a mapkey that allows the user to select or input a file name and the rest is taken care of automatically
smiley4.gif

Those numbers are called the session id and they change every time Pro|E opens a part or assy. Parts get even session id's (0,2,4,6, etc) and assemblies get odd numbers. The numbers are assigned in the order t he parts or assemblies are opened.

You can find the session id of a part or assy by opening the top level assembly. Then go to the relations editor and clicking Show -Session ID. Then you pick part or assy and click on the component you want to know about. The session id is displayed in the message lines. You can then use that in relations to drive component dims and parameters by the assy or the other way around.

Keep in mind, this relation is only evaluated when in the assembly and when the assy is regenerated. I even believe that when the part is opened alone, you can change the dim or parameter and Pro|E gives no warning. When returning to the assy, however, the relation takes over again.

dgs said:
Those numbers are called the session id and they change every time Pro|E opens a part or assy...... When returning to the assy, however, the relation takes over again.

Thanks dgs, that makes it a lot clearer. Why don't they tell you these things when you are trained
smiley9.gif

dutchy said:
dgs said:
Those numbers are called the session id and they change every time Pro|E opens a part or assy...... When returning to the assy, however, the relation takes over again.

Thanks dgs, that makes it a lot clearer. Why don't they tell you these things when you are trained
smiley9.gif

I dunno. It probably depends on which training you go to ...
smiley36.gif

BTW - I forgot to mention, you don't need to worry about the numbers changing every time you re-open the assy and messing up your relations. Somehow, Pro|E manages to keep track.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back