Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

unfolding carbon fiber sheets

dacct

Question related toboat parts that will be build out of carbon fiber. The parts are made of carbon fiber sheets layered on top of each others.

Is there a way in Proe to create some kind of section internal to the parts to define the different sheets of carbon, and then unfold them to extract the 2D information to cut the different sheets?

I guess this can probably be done (at least partially) via the Sheet Metal module but since I do not have it, I don't know...

Or what would be the best solution for doing this? Any advise welcome...

thanks!

Hi,

Since you do not have the Sheet Metal option.. the other way of doing it is...

Create a surface/quilt which represents the section and then.....

Click Insert > Advanced > Flatten Quilt. The FLATTEN QUILT dialog box opens.

1. <LI =kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Numbered>
    Select a source quilt to flatten.
    <LI =kadov-p-CTopic-Text-Numbered>
    Select a datum point on the quilt to be the origin point. Two red arrows indicate the u-v directions of the quilt.</LI>

This is the way it is done in WF..... in 2001 the menu is slightly different...

I would suggest you take a look at the proe help guide

Vishnu

I am running WF1 Foundation Advantage and just realized they are Sheet Metal tools included... Not sure if the tools I need to do this are included... Would be very useful if someone had a detailed workflow of the procedure to follow though...

Flatten Quilts also seems to be available but I haven't have any success with it yet. I can't seem to select any valid surfaces or quilt.

Unfortunately I don't have much time to learn and play around with the Sheet Metal and Flatten Quilt tools so any help will be greatly appreciated...

thanks.

dacct,

It's very unlikely Sheetmetal is going to give you an acceptable result. Unless I have been on a different planet for a couple years, Sheetmetal still cannot "unbend" a compound surface. Maybe a couple SM experts can chime in. Even if it did flatten the surface the material usage for a boat hull would be so far off you would not want to trust the result anyway.

Sheetmetal just won't get it.
smiley19.gif

As far as flatten quilt, the material usage is most likely going to be way off as well. I think you are better of modeling the product, cutting sections and measuring the curve lengths at strategic locations. You can mathematically resolve or projectthe material flat and get the pattern shape more accurately.

dacct,

I realize you don't have the time to learn and get familiar with new modules of Pro right now but you may want to consider these modules that I believe PTC still offers.
************************************************************ *****************************
The Pro/ENGINEER Shipbuilding Solution is a complete suite of applications from concept through production. It is a feature-based, parametric, associative, 3-D solid modeling application that includes hull design functionality for the conceptual subdivision of a ship, structural steelwork design, and piece part and manufacturing block fabrication outputs. The outfitting functionality provides for specification driven piping, parametric and associative routed systems, and cabling/piping supports design.
The Hull shipbuilding components are Basic Hull and Structural Hull. Both modules have a ship-specific user interface that uses standard ship design terminology and reference systems. The dialog boxes contain ship-specific measurements and values.

************************************************************ ******************************
The other is Pro/COMPOSITE which is part of the Advanced Surface Extension.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back