Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Uh Oh!! They want me to be a drafter! Need Help with GT&D!

Nose Bleed

Hey guys ( and Ladies!)

Turns out that my engineering expertise has gone too serious and my employer wants me to put out some engineering drawings of designs that I've modeled.

Unfortunately I'm not fully versed in the ASME Y14 notations. I've left that expertis up to the drafters. But, now my boss wants me to do the drafting bit.

I need a cheat sheet of Geometrical Dimensioning and Tolerancing standards - I've got a copy of the code, but I hate flipping through the pages to capture the intent that I'm trying to tolerance to.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

I've left that expertis up to the drafters.

I thought that ASME Y14.5 is a function based approach to dimensioning and tolerancing so I've never understood how Engineers can leave this to drafters.

Aren't Engineers responsible for fit, form & function ?????

Dougr, You're exactly correct!

However, my line of work allows me to sit side by side with a machinest so that I can discuss the intent of the design and how it's going to be machined - in real time. So I normally only have to give him a screen shot of the drawings.

In my current position, I have project leaders that come to me, requesting a design that they need NOW ( they bypass the drafting department ). Since I have the machinest sitting next to me, we can discuss the intricasies.

Now it's time for me to go back and fix those designs so that they can be published...

Nose, a couple of things you won't get from cheat sheets:

1) Select your datums according to the function of the part - not how it gets machined.

2) This is comparable to learning a new language so get as much help as you can.

3) You can always send your drafting to India or Romania (or Serbia ??) !!!

Yup - I already figured that one out, the first time a QA shoved my part up against a datum block - boy did I look stupid!!

I've got a copy of the code - Thanks!!

I read in the news that apparently, Wal-mart is currently outsourcing - within the u.s.!!! ;-)

I'm going to make an assumption here, we all know what that can do. Nose Bleed is a degreed engineer. Just like so many degreed engineers, they don't have a clue of how to make a drawing. Sad.

Sorry if you find my statement offensive, but being a non-degreed engineer makes it tough to find work today. Having an AAS in Machine Design Technology and over 30 years of experience means nothing. Oh, you don't have a BSME? I guess you don't know what you're doing. Idiots!

Yup - You assume much, and you're negative - that's probably why you've not been considered for better positions.

But you do have a point. My background is in fluids, and I've been designing and testing pressure systems for my entire career, until I was laid off.

Now in my new job, I've got nothing to do with fluids system design.

I was NOT hired to be a drafter, or for my ability to dabble with Pro/E - That part of the job just came about with mechanica work that I do.

If you're always this outspoken about employment inconsistencies, I'm surprised you have a job at all!

I thought that ASME Y14.5 is a function based approach to dimensioning and tolerancing so I've never understood how Engineers can leave this to drafters.

Right on target, thanks.

These guys are calling me unexperienced, that's the reason I am unemployed, one dosen guys needed in making a correct drawing! How about a full project with materials, energy calculation, manpower, material loss, sale price, etc etc.

Just wonder, peacefully?

Oops!

I missed that reply:

- and one other thing... My job title is - Technician.

You should let your boss know, that is time for your raise, you need more income to afford shopping at Wall-Mart!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back