Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

two questions

tmextrao

1.) can you put multiply lines of text in one balloon? whenever i try, it creates a new balloon for each new line added.

2.) on my drawing, some parts are showing up in pinkish-purple and are shown even though they are behind other parts. both hidden and tangent lines are off. please help.

thanks.

I don't quite understand #1.

Answer for #2.

Those items are surfaces. (i.e. cosmetic thread, welds or surfaces.)

In View, set display mode to Qlt HLR (Quilted Hidden Line Removal).

thanks for #2.

#1. I'm trying to insert a balloon that indicates a part #, and some other things like bolts and stuff. But instead of letting me do something like:

8x

Bolt #10-32

Washer flat #10

all in one balloon, it'll do this

8x (in one balloon)

Bolt #10-32 (in another balloon right next to it)

Washer flat (in yet another balloon)

i hope that's more clear...

I hate to be ignorant, but balloons are normally reserved for find numbers (aka item numbers) associated with a parts lists or bill of material. Why not have a captive bill of material on the drawing title sheet and use find numbers automatically assigned in the table? This would certainly minimize clutter in the field of the drawing.

Tunalover

i'm not actually the person who decides what goes where. i just make it happen on the drawing. but in this case, i think it makes more sense to have it on the drawing because it's an assembly, and this sheet is dedicated to the how to's of putting the thing together.

I agree with 'Tunalover' 100%.

What you are trying to do is defeating the purpose of using ProE.

p.s. I don't think ProE allows multiple line in balloon note.

Instead of using balloons, per se, why not just use leader notes? This way you will be able to place as many lines of text as you want on the drawing field.

I agree with everyone else that this is a wierd situation. But if you have to do it that way then possibly create a symbol instance. Refer to the topic Custom Symbol Inserts to show you how. Create a circle with variable text on the inside, then place it in your drawing, enter you info in the text positions, and place it with a leader.

You can always create your own balloon symbol with as many lines of text inside the balloon that you need.

Folks, I hate to get on a soap box, but...

The key function of an engineering drawing is to depict the end-item and its constituent parts (ref: ASME Y14.100). This is used to portray end-item requirements for inspection and manufacturing. By telling the manufacturer exactly how to do something on the drawing only ties his hands, stifles his creativity, and drives up your costs (besides, it's less work if you keep the stuff OFF the drawing).

When you pollute the drawing with how to information, you create an unwieldy, error-prone, yet formal document that will undergo formal revision until the cows come home. Play it smart. Keep the how tos in Work Instructions that are typically under INFORMAL document control (ECNs not required). Note that Pro/E can do a great job with Work Instructions!

Now, for the balloons. In a complex assembly, if you have 23 different places where use use a bolt, are you going to call it out 23 separate times, stating the bolt's size, length, style, material, thread, ad naseum? That is simply too much work and it serves to make the drawing ugly and cluttered.

Nuff said!

Tunalover

Balloons were created for drawings so that you'll have a concise way of calling out items that may appear dozens of times in the same drawing. I don't know about you, but I prefer to provide the description of a part ONCE in a bill of material (or parts list, or whatever you want to call it).

To make multiple lines with one balloon use the Merge function in the BOM balloon menu.

Many companies use balloons that call out the find number in the balloon and then also the part number abd description as a reference as well as number required. This reduces problems for manufacturing etc. in cross referencing the BOM on page 1 of a 100+ sheet drawing or the like. As long as the balloon is a custom balloon using Pro/Report parameters they are parametric and automatic and other than taking up a little more room they are excellent for clear, quick, and accurate portrayal of the items.

You SHOULD NEVER use notes since they are entered by hand and prone to error.

there, 2 more cents....

I am a beginner of Pro/e.

when I want to open the file ( pre2000i) which was downloaded

and have been unzipped, It 's tell me can't be retrieved.

who can teach me what I can do?

Frank

I am a beginner of Pro/e.

when I want to open the file ( pre2000i) which was downloaded

and have been unzipped, It 's tell me can't be retrieved.

who can teach me what I can do?

Frank

kvision suggested notes going along with the find number. That's OK if the note is associated with the balloon number (i.e. if you make a change to the balloon parameters, then it is automatically updated as many times as it appears in the drawing).

On a final note, if I ever run into a 100+ sheet drawing, I'll make a point to have a long talk with organization's management!

Tunalover

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back