Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Tired of skyrocketing cost of energy?

Instead of pouring out natural resources and putting huge amounts of money in trying to keep up that level it would be better to adopt a plan to save energy and use as much renewable as possible. No matter how much oil and gas we find and exploit, it is inevitable coming to an end. Example : there are cars around that drive 100 km with 5 liter of fuel and less. While looking into solutions that are not dependent on fossile fuel it is still a good thing to adopt a "lean" strategy. Driving around in SUV's that need 4-5 times this amount of gas is nothing less than a crime.

Why do you think prices rise this high ? Surely it's our crazy, ever increasingdemand for energy.

My 0,02

I agree. Manufacturers should have a legal obligation to supply the most ecomical cars they possibly can. Bu then this opens up a new can of worms. Should Formula 1 and all other motorsports be abolished because they are a waste of fuel? How would this apply to trucks which by their virtue are 'gaz guzzlers'? You can't just rule out one band of cars if you are going to cut down the fuel consumtion of a nation. What is the difference between me using 1000 gallons / year in my 900cc 'green' car and you using 1000 gallons per year in your SUV?

As I studied the economics 20 years ago in college I could see way back then that the problem with capitalism is that it seemed to assume and un-ending supply of raw materials and energy. While neccessary, competition creates a lotof waste. There are no incentives to save resources, but definitely incentives to use them as fast as possible.Now we depend on ethicsof the producers and consumers to save the world resources. We educate people through ad compaigns that they are responsible for what they consume. That will workin a small percentage of folks, but I think the vast majority of the world population cannot make thatthe driving decision in every item they consume. Its a tough situation.

The only, more or less honest, way out is stronger regulation. Free economics now make energy "not so expensive" for the rich and unaffordable for the poor. Taxes are a way to straighten out this inequality.

If you think about cars one could set a standard consumption and add (or deduct) exponential taxes on variations. Say the standard is 6 liters then a car using 12 would be made to be taxed 4 times as much, 18 liters 9 times as much ... It wouldn't stop some people but would be motivating. A4 liter car would get a bonus in rating only 0,44.

We have to get the "free" out of energy consumption. Airplane fuel going untaxed is creating excesses in people going to parties by plane or food getting flown in from the other side of the world while local farmers are driven out of business.

H.R. 6566: bring down energy prices by increasing safe, domestic production, encouraging the development of alternative and renewable energy, and promoting conservation.

All of the above. Tho, I would prefer that the free market work out these inequalities. More supply thru increased production & alternative sources combined with decreased demand through conservation will make increasing taxes unecessary.

not to be so rediculus and disagree with everyone... but as far as track day sign ups.for example.I found the gas prices reduced the number of people signing up for track days.I can wait till the last minute before sining up and there are still plenty of spots open for me in my group.The novice and intermediate groups may still fill up ... those groups would fill up months in advance. The advance group would fill up a week or two before the event. Now the advance group is 3/4 full.For me hi-gas prices help. http://www.nesba.com

Bart,

Enjoy your track racing while you can. The time is coming when you will onceagain have to wait 6 months to have a go at it. But then it will be waiting until you get your special fuel spilling permission.
smiley36.gif

Alex

Oil is just too precious only to burn it.

AHA-D said:
Oil is just too precious only to burn it.

Sad but true and the reason is because of overly burdensome restrictions on its retrieval. Even the hint of more drilling last month sent the price in a tail spin.

All the talk aboutbanning plastic bottles and bags makes me laugh. These resins come from crude byproducts that would otherwise get thrown out. The majority of the stuff goes towards fuel.

in the states water costs far more than fuel.

Fishnut mentioned a problem with capitalism above...

There are other problems too.I call it the 'Kleenex Syndrome'. You sneeze you reach for a Kleenex then discard and reach for another. Go to the store and buy more Kleenex and sneeze again. With a photovoltaic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photovoltaic solar design the sun supplies the radiation and the silicon wafer splits off electrons for power.There is not a 'Kleenex Syndrome' to make the consumer go out and buy more radiation. The only money to be made is in replacement parts... or installments... or in upgrades....That is a serious problem! Therefore there is not a massive capital investment....

To contradict some... the power companies are investing in a passive supply of energy... wind turbines are poping up all over the southern states.I am still perplexed as to why photovaltaic has not taken off more. Batteries are toxic maybe?
Edited by: design-engine

Because photovoltaic is not efficient enough and too expensive to be an alternative (yet). Look at the solar races. They have to be done in Australia, in the burning sun, you need a massive surface vehicle with the lowest rolling resistance possible, covered with topnotch cells, ... all to get decently going. Translate this to common technology and everyday circumstances and you will be moving at walking speed in a normal vehicle. Someone recently calculated that you needed a 15 meter wide strip of cells to both sides of every road in Western Europe to cover the present electricity consumption. Sounds practical ???

Photo-panels are getting more common on houses over here (they're still very limited but not exclusive anymore) but the only reason they exist is because they're massively subsidized. If not they would produce at around 5 times the cost of "plain" electricity (and nobody would put up the investment). The other thing is you get paid for pushing electricity back in the net, which points to the weak point : you produce most electricity when you least need it. Present solutions to store electricity are non-practical.

Wind turbines are indeed popping up everywhere, even in proportions that fabricators can no longer keep up, so prices are rising. Again this is no solution. Even when interconnecting Europe entirely they can not guarantee a minimum power supply. If the wind falls it pretty much falls all over.

As far asI can see the number one thing to do is to reduce massively our consumption. Second conclusion is that nuclear is about the only practical, continuous,sustainable option left beside burning fuel. All the rest helps but is not practical in the present state of technology and continuity.

Alex

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back