Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

THREADS IN DRW’S

saspinall

I have some models in which I have modelled the threads using a helical cut and have placed these into assemblies. Our problem now comes to light when trying to do a drawing of the threaded part ie we dont want to see the thead cut in the drawing. Can create a simplified rep of the model without threads but this cannot be used in a drawing. Anyone got any good ideas. Family tables not really good idea as model name is needed for both the drawing format and the bom on the assy.

Stu

The only two ways I can think of to do this would be to:

1. Supress the helical cut, therefore giving you a 'blank' component in the drawing(adding a note stating the thread dimensions if still required)

or

2. Instead of creating your thread as a helical sweep, create it as a cosmetic thread - which would still give you the dimensioning if required.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Lesley

smiley1.gif

<DIV>You can do a make-shift simplified rep of the part in the drawing. While it's not a true simplified rep, you cansuppress features for a single drawing view or all drawing views. In Pro/E 2001, it's "Views > Represent". I'm not sure of the menu picks in Wildfire. You would pick"Simplify", and select the helical cut feature. This will remove it from the drawing views that you select. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>~~~</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Although, after re-reading your original post and noticing that it was with regards to an assembly drawing, this method might not be the right way to go. That works best for part drawings. If you have helical cuts to represent threads on a screw, I would opt for what Lesley said;delete the thread entirely. They are unnecessary and can take a lot of CPU time depending on how many you have. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
Edited by: Jason Turk

Thanks guys. I have done the drawings using the supress cut method and it seems to work ok and Ive added big note underneath drg stating to supress cut before printing. Am going off now to try Jasons method for simplified view. Would be far easier if you could put a simplified rep of a part into a drg as you can do with an assy.

Stu

Simplifed reps of parts have been dropped in Wildfire. They are very flakey in 2001, probably why dropped in Wildfire.

Just a thought. You can put features on Layers and suppress layers in chosen views of drawings or the whole drawing. In 2001 it is "View > Layers". You will see "Active Object" is "The Drawing". You can change this by choosing the pull down arrow select certain views to blank the layer in. This works great for assemblies. I have never tried it for part drawings.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back