Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

There, I’ve said it!..now I have to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pommares,

Excellent tips! no idea how to "transfer a button", can you post the map keys? and do you know how to integrate them? I've seen a few posts here on that sort of thing (I think it involved editing your config.pro with a text editor or something but I have no idea how to do it really)

Puppet,

true about the cost thing, but because it will be not for profit and educational, I'm hoping that the University of Limerick, Ireland, where I'm currently doing my Masters will allow me to host it on their servers.. bandwidth wouldn't be a problem. as for my time, I haven't earned a penny (cent) in the last 7 (count them SEVEN) years being a full time student so don't mind doing a few things for free. I hope to finish around mid summer anyway and maybe try and find a job and I must admit that this isn't an entirely selfless act, these thing look good on a CV and help raise my profile, how do you put a price on that? (honesty eh?)

there are some pretty good people coming through the ranks here each year in the University also and my long term plan would be to enlist their services as and when the time arises. I have mentioned it to a few guys all ready and they are willing to give a hand! so itshould be looking good!

Kvision.

Man I'm really sorry,
smiley9.gif
.. I didn't even think about the small businesses that depend on this sort of thing to make a living.. I Have seen your site, and I must say IT IS EXCELLENT! and the rates are excellent, and from what I remember you even have a student discount! your offer was extremely generous and for that I thank you. if you would like to send me a mail and I would be happy to discuss options regarding advertising links and the like...

Keep 'em coming!

James

Edited by: james.lynch

Come on guys!! 351 views, that should be 351 TIPS!

smiley4.gif

the great thing is that it doesn't have to be much work! simply open a model that you want to demo on, click the record button and work away as normal, if you want to record audio, then simply speak into an microphone at the same time!

it could be something like

1. <LI>open the model, </LI>
    <LI>press record and start working! you could</LI>
<UL>
<LI>open the model and add a surface finish (30second recording?)</LI>
<LI>open a model and set up a map key (1 min max!) </LI>
<LI>edit a config option that you find handy (20 seconds)</LI>[/list]

there are an infinite number of possibilities, it is really easy!

thanks again,

Lynch

I'm not too sure how you see the relationship between your initiative and MCAD central. Would you keep this dialogue open as an ongoing thread within the Central? Or would this be a separate site with cross links? How would you maintain a permanent call for contributions within MCAD?

Guy

Kvision

Your site sounds very appealing. Although I was not able to access it so far. Is it possible to acquire relevant tutorials individually as opposed to taking an ongoing subscription?

About the question of a possible conflict of interest with Lynch's initiative, maybe the user groups being targeted are sufficiently differentto make a narrow collaboration profitable for both. I hope that is the case.

Best of luck

Guy

Pommares said:
Finally, in that same vein, measuring is something I do quite often; and it takes rather too many steps to get to the point where you actually do the measuring. So I created a mapkey that gets me directly to where I just simply measure the distance.

I also associated an icon with that function and it is now a frequently used tool on my toolbar. I kinda like how that mini measuring tape came out and would like to send it over. Looks like a Stanley. How do you post a button?
Pommares - please post your measuring mapkey, I have been frustrated with the standard commands. Isn't the button just a bitmap file?
Edited by: dr_gallup

Lynch

Here is the custom button sequence I have on the toolbar around the SAVE control. The modified smileys represent ERASE previous iterations and clear RAM, the closing folder triggers CLOSE part. So if you hit them in sequence you get: ERASE previous versions, SAVE (click to confirm), CLOSE, CLEAR RAM.

Notice the tape measure a little further down the line.

View attachment 791

Dr Gallup

Here is the tape measure button enlarged four times

View attachment 792

The mapkey sequence is just:

Alt A, m, then under type select distance.

Ready to roll. No big deal but makes your job flow a little better.

How would you go about mailing a button to a friend so he could just install it into his ProE toolbar without having to copy it pixel by pixel?

Guy

Pommares said:
I'm not too sure how you see the relationship between your initiative and MCAD central. Would you keep this dialogue open as an ongoing thread within the Central? Or would this be a separate site with cross links? How would you maintain a permanent call for contributions within MCAD?

To be honest, I'm not really sure.. I was thinking of placing a post in each or the forums for tips or what ever in each catagory?? If Mr. Turk was to possibly come onboard with this project maybe it may be possible to create one of those posts that always stay at the top of the forum? I dunno yet..

hopefully I can get a site together this week and go and pester the powers that be here at the University to see if I can get some support from them..

by the way, in order to create a map key button by the way, see this article..

http://www.synthx.com/tom/sy_tip_0202.htm

James

Some smaller versions of the animations, (under 3 mb)

http://www.skynet.ie/~ceason/jlynch/Detail_Med.wmv(windows media player 9 or higher)

http://www.skynet.ie/~ceason/jlynch/Max_animation_Med.wmv(windows media player 9 or higher))

http://www.skynet.ie/~ceason/jlynch/Bismarck.avi(new one 4mb, DivX codex required http://download.divx.com/divx/DivX521XP2K.exe) now this one has not ben edited properly or anything so it's not great yet..

Anyway in the mean time I havecontacted the moderator of this site with the hope of some positive feedback.

James

Guy,

I have recieved a few pm's, e-mails and talked to people in the Shout box, and a few people have said that they are in the process of putting something together, but so far.. the tips yous see on this post, are the tips I have recieved..

it's like I said on one of the other posts,here's the thing..... The site is going to be aimedat EVERYBODY.. so if you can use the extrude tool, you can make a tutorial, if you can assemble two components, you can make a tutorial - it doesn't matter how easy or complicated it sounds to you, I can guarantee you that thee are people trying to look at proe for the first time right now and have absolutely no idea where to begin.. in my University alone, there must be close to 100 people every year looking at Pro for the first time, put all the institutions, company's and people just trying to further their carreer together and that's a lot of people!
just my $0.02..

Come on everybody, give it a go!
smiley17.gif

Hey James,

Great work on the tutorial push, will work on making a few tutorials myself and ill post them when I get a chance.

Our Bismarck is looking well, forgot how she looked in the sunset
smiley4.gif
Ill be back home for a while next week and ill touch base with you regarding tutorials I might cover. Maybe Video tutorials are an option?

Again, great work on tutorial rally

Ronan

Cheers Ronan.. give me a bell when you're in town and we can discuss what you want to cover!

Thanks for the offer,

James

<DIV>I must say this is the first time I've read this thread. I've been extremely busy with other things. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you want to create a user-submitted collection of tips & tricks, including videos & Pro/E files, that would be compatible with the student edition software. This could easily be done in the "Tips & Tricks" section of the forum. That section is mainly for users wanting to share their knowledge about a particular subject, rather than for those asking questions. It also allows for users to follow up with questions of their own related to the topic. If the maximum file submittal size is an issue, I can increase that. Using the forums provides an instant method of publishing information to the community. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>You could also use the Articles section or the Files section, but I must admit that when I'm busy (which is quite frequently), I don't get to that very quickly. There could be some time before they get published. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I could also provide an anonymous FTP site for large files if that would help. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm open to suggestions.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>-- Jason</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Admin.

1. What would be the difference between James' initiative and the regular "Tips and Tricks" section? Apart from the fact that James' concept would be essentially student oriented; which could be something like a specific ongoing thread within "Tips and Tricks."

2. If he were to go that route; how would you suggest he go about keeping an ongoing call for submissions at the forefront of what regular users get to see?

Guy

Hey James

The Ireland bit at the start of this thread caught my eye....I only noticed your name after....

I had seen your name on the ptc web site for those awards! Looks great....Congrads!

This is John Vaughan here be the way......

Working 24/7 on Pro E these days with a company in dundalk!!!

Im out of the country at the moment....I ll give you a shout when i get back...

Chat later

John

Jason,

what I'd liketo create, would be similar to what you have said, but hopefully have a choice ofcommercial or student files, I don't really want to convert files from the student version to commercial (not sure how well that would go down with PTC) but if files were submitted in the commercial version then that could be hosted along with the student version..

while I suppose what I'm looking at is similar to the tips and tricks section, I feel the video side of things is quite important - especially for new users. now some of the short tips may be onlya few megs, but longer video tutorials if people wish to submit them could be 100Mb for a one hour file.. now that may kill your bandwidth.. the university has a 160MB fiber optic line, so this was the primary reason for for me suggesting an alternate site. The quality of the videos are probably going to be Progressive, which means you can watch them as they are downloaded but delays can occur if using a 28.8 or 56 bit modem but the image quality is consistent, as opposed to streaming which can skip data to avoid pauses. so what ever your connection speed, all you need is patience..

again a simple commentsection under each video page could accommodate the Follow up and Comment side of things.. maybe we could do a collaboration kind of thing, where that comment type forum could be "powered by mcadcentral".. I'm not really sure what that would mean or involve but I'd really like to try and maintain a close link to this site, I think it would be mutually beneficial

all good points and ideas Jason.. I'll have a think about it over the weekend.. if you feel your bandwidth could accomodate this project, maybe we could look at that?

if anybody has any suggestions/ideas about the direction this project should take please post them here.

John

Good to hear from ya! haven't seen you in, must be 2 years! Glad things are going well, enjoy your trip, send me a mail when you getback,

Cheers,

James

hmm

So what happens whens james graduates from his course? all
contributions are lost? someone will take over? universities are funny
the way they love you when your there and forget you the second you
leave.

Puppet, That's the great thing abuot the Internet! you can remote manage a site from anywhere in the world as long as it's set up right! so even after I'm gone from UL, it would still be easy to maintain...

and besides, it's in their best interest (should they approve my request for hosting) to keep the site alive! it would promote the University on a global scale! win win really..

James

here is a possible Idea about the collaboration between MCadCentral and this initiative
one of the big stumbling blocksis how to maintain a continuous call for tutorials.. I suppose it all depends on what Jason at Mcad feels is actually possible.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
Anyway theIdea I had was maybe to have one post in the

James, and others...

A lot of great ideas here... I hope your site gets off the ground soon - people learning & using Pro/E can use all the help they can get.

I had a similar idea a few years ago & launched Pro/HOW which became Pro/E Help, now part of CADmin.co.uk - all for free, all for Pro/E people. Plus there's a host of other sites like Synthx.com, ProE.com, ProESite.com, Profiles magazine, and others... all providing good free information for Pro/E users.

Your unique idea about supporting students and people learning themselves is a good one, helping to build the Pro/E userbase, and spreading the word.

So, all the best in this... hope it does well.

Here's a contribution: if you work with family tables, create a mapkey called FTV for family table verify... simply opens Tools | Family Table - hits Verify button - then hits OK. This will save you loads of time, especially in Wildfire where everything should be verified.

Cheers
Ed

ps - once again well done to your group on the battleship model + animation - I saw you guys last year at PTC/USER onstage getting your award... I'm involved with the Scottish Pro/USER group, and we'll soon be launching a similar initiative to get Scottish Uni's / colleges using Pro/E more effectively. No doubt Bismarck will be shown as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back