Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

The slasher gripes again

Pommares

I've got this thing with slashes as arrowheads. They are more compact and make for clarity in tight situations which inevitably do arise. Now I wonder if there is any easy way to make them. Right now, I create dims and then change the extremities one by one. Very low performance.

Maybe I'm wrong, but there seems to be no way to set slashes as default arrowheads in the config file. OK, so you could group select and then change them all in one shot. This does not work. What about creating a mapkey function to change dim ends easily. Doesn't work either. Do the guys at PTC have something against the slash, or am I missing something?

Hello....

Which version r u using... im using 2001 and can set drawing defaults in a file called config.dtl this file specifies the defaults for all aspects of the drawing.. Pro uses it thru the search.pro file...

If you need more info send me an e-mail

TinaG

Hi I think I tried that.

Just remind me how I access the config.dtl file.

Also, do you happen to know which command sets the default arrowhead and have you tried setting it as slash?

Guy

Oh Tina. I'm using Wildfire 2.0. Thank you for going to the trouble.

What's the difference between config.pro and config.dtl? Accesswise.

Guy

All right. I followed your leads and went through all the commands in config.dtl. There is one possibility to set clip-dim-arrow-style to slash, but only for clipped dimensions. Fo regular dimensions there is a dim_arrow_style but it only takes one of three possible parameters: open, closed and filled: no slash.

Does anyone have an idea how I can work around the limitation on group select or mapkeys to set a whole bunch of arrowheads to slash in one shot?

You could submit an enhancement request to PTC for this functionality. You may have a better case if you supplysome well-known standards supporting the need for the 'slash' dimensioning practice. I took a quick look through ASME Y14.5M-1994, but didn't see anything that would help you.

Thank you Brian.

No, I do not know of standards that use the slash. Got the habit from one of my employees. Didn't like it much at first. I emphasized to her that you should plan your drawings, layouts and dimensions to avoid getting into tight spots in the first place. But if you like to keep a paper file of productiobn drawings in small format (easy to handle and consult), then that is pretty much impossible.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back