Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

text thickness during printing

mekaneck

When I specify a different thickness of text, how can I get my printed drawing to reflect a change in thickness?

For example: I have two lines of text on a drawing, one says "standard font", and is 0mm thick and 6mm tall.The other says "thicker font", and is 0.7mm thick and 6mm tall. In Pro/E, the "thicker font" appears thicker (as it should). But when I plot out the drawing, the two fonts are identical. No matter what I change the thickness to, it has no effect on the plotted drawing.

Is there a config setting to change this? I have messed around with the pen thickness config options, and I have also messed around with a pen table file, and I can change line thicknesses on my part geometry, but the text thickness is unaffected. The only thing which will affect the thickness of the text is if I change the color (which I don't want to do).

Here's a picture to help explain:

Any suggestions?

I've run into a similar issue with line thickness of sketched entities on drawings. In that case, if a pen table file is used and printedline thicknesses controlled that way (object lines thicker than dimension lines etc. ) the "thickness" of a sketched line as assigned via the width option of line style is totally ignored when it is printed. Disabling the use of a pen table file brings back the line style assigned width of the sketched entity, but the rest of the drawing looks like crap because everything is one line thickness. I didn't find a workaround for that.

Specific to your case, we have had similar needs to make certain text appear thicker and accomplish that by changing that specific text to a different font such as filled, font3d or a true type font. This has proven to work quite well. So, my suggestion would be to change the font of the text you want to appear thicker.

OK, looks like that works. I guess that using a pen table file makes the "thickness" setting invalid for sketched entities and fonts.

I was able to get the line weights different by changing the default config options:

pen1_line_weight 4
pen2_line_weight 1
pen3_line_weight 2
pen4_line_weight 3
pen5_line_weight 2
pen6_line_weight 3
pen7_line_weight 1
pen8_line_weight 4

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back