Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Template for Drawing with views

ledo

Is it possible to create a default format template for Drawing that has some predefined views on it?

So if we would use a File -> New -> Drawing and use these custom template some predefined views would automatically be created?

Viewsof the part or assembly we define.

Thanks for answers.
Edited by: ledo

Can you point me to right direction?

I did some research but no luck so far.

I thought it must be possible but inproeeverything must be discovered for the first time and made by user it self.

Like the story with BOM tables.

PTC just wants you to make one and learn. They give you nothing. Everything is from the scratch and must be found. "Somewhere over the rainbow" must i add.

Edit:

I say:

Please PTC tell me where is that function...

PTC answers me:

Hey. Lets play hide and seek. It's fun.

After creating a drawing with the format you want switch to Template under the Applications menu. You can then choose Insert>Template View from the menu or right mouse click>Insert Template View. You'll be given the Template View Instructions dialog box.

<DIV ="block">

Yes last night i managed to do that BUT:

When i create these "box" its empty evan if i have default part or assembly loaded.

How do i then connect these empty "box" with part? And how do i make a template out of it?

If i guess correct then this template doesn't have .FRM extension but is a template with .DRW extension?

So basically i must put in in to:

C:\Program Files\proeWildfire 4.0\templates

folder and load it as .DRW?

In the beginning i thought i must create views on format template with .FRM extension.

But no i see it is not like that.

I would just like the confirmation that template with predefined views is with .DRW and not with .FRM extension.

Thanks for answers.</></DIV>

And one more question. How do i MAKE and SAVE Drawing (.dwg) so i don't have to define defoult part on assembly in it?

I made new drawing and use format template for it. Then i make some predifined views on it. But in the begining i had to define defolt model for these drawing.

And now when i want to usethese drawingas custom template with predifined views i get errors beacose it includes that predifined model in it (the path).

So how to make .DRW without defolt model in it?

The *.frm contains the sheet border, title block, standard tables, and notes for a drawing sheet. The drawing template is an *.drw file and doesn't have a default model file. The template views are generated based on the saved views you have created in the model. In the Template View Instructions dialog box you will see a box for the Model "Saved View" Name. Enter the view name and select the items you want to show or control in the View Options area. When you create a new drawing select a default model, Use Template, and the template drawing file. To create a template drawing file use the Empty with format option, specify the format,when the drawing opens switch to Template in the Applications menu, create your template views, and save the template drawing. If your drawing template has a model assigned to it switch to Applications>Standard and then File>Properties>Drawing Models>Del Model.

kdem said:
File>Properties>Drawing Models>Del Model

Yes this will probably do it. Will try it and report.

Thanks for answers.

Edit:

OK it works now. I made my first template (.drw) with predefined views.

I made somegood templates now with predefined views.

But some options are limited aren't they? For example rotation ofviews always must be done manually later?

AndIusedpoints + move special to create coordinates to later align these views to something (points in my example).

There are no aligment options that i found for it. I am happy with the outcome now but the road to custom template with predifined views to be honest is hard.

The template views are good for general and projection views. The first template view will be a general view. If you want to align new views to the first view select projection from the View Type list. So if your first view is the FRONT view you would create template views using Projection as the View Typefor the LEFT, RIGHT, TOP, and BOTTOM. You could also create a projection view for the BACK view by creatinga projection view off of the previously mentioned projections views, although projecting off the LEFT or RIGHT views is preferred. When you use the template to create the drawing the views will be aligned. When you say rotation of views, I'm assuming you mean auxilliary views, you create those once the drawing is created since these views depend on model geometry or datums for creation.

I see. I used only general views until now. Until nowi made projection views only with general views manually. I now see the difference what general view is and what projection view is.

I just have to play around these for a while to get the hang of it.

Thanks for answer and explanation.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back