Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Tangent edges display

kenigma

Hi,

Im kinda new to Pro-e and I'm working on WF3. Is there any possible way in which u can display tangent edges in shaded view of a part model.

I tried the Model Display>Shade>With edges... but that seems to display only sharp edges.

I need to display tangent edges or edges of the fillets.

Please help....

It should be on by default, anyway you can change it in view/model display/edge lines, if I remember correctly

Paolo

ahh...you want it to look like solidworks....

there was a thread here at mcadC about that a while ago, search for itand you will find it.(unless it disapered in the servercrash)

//Tobias

You need to make sure that your config option for tangent edges is also set correctly. Go to tools options and look for the following oprtion: tangent_edge_display set it to solid.

mcgowanp said:
You need to make sure that your config option for tangent edges is also set correctly. Go to tools options and look for the following oprtion: tangent_edge_display set it to solid.

That only determines how the edges are displayed when you are in wireframe.

As far as showing tangent edges in shaded mode , there are (as far as i know) no separate option for that. You can play around with a copy of the outside surf and make sure to set it to a different color than the part.

//Tobias

tobbo said:
mcgowanp said:

That only determines how the edges are displayed when you are in wireframe.

As far as showing tangent edges in shaded mode , there are (as far as i know) no separate option for that. You can play around with a copy of the outside surf and make sure to set it to a different color than the part.

//Tobias

to answer the original poster, there is no way to do it easily. once you add a fillet to an edge and that hard corner disappears, you no longer see that transition edge in a solid color.

The method of playing around with surface copies and such will work, but once you make a change to the original geometry you're back to where you were before. somebody posted a long time ago a way to get the tangent edges to display in a color different than the base model but you had to go into the colors and edit them. the problem was that once you created new geometry, it reverted back to the base color of the solid and you no longer could see your new tangent edges. while I found it looked nice, it just wasn't a practical solution for everyday modelling.

I've recently been doing some work on SW again after a bit of a break and I must admit, I really do like being able to see my edges though...............

I tried doing tangent edges display to solid but as tobias said that displays only in wireframe.

I guess Pro-e does not have this feature then...

If anyone comes across a forum with the solution to this problem then please reply...

Ok does Pro-e WF5 display tangent edges???

WF5 doesnt display tangent edges in shaded mode - only in
the various wireframe modes.

Edge display is also buggy - it is normally associated
with the part color. But Edit the part color and you're
stuck with edges in the old color. You actually have to
restart ProE to get the new edge color.

More frustrating are the Analysis>Geometry tools - no
edges at all in shaded Draft analysis - just big blocks
of color with nothing to reference them to. Also changes
behavior with FastHLR and SmoothEdges - what were they
thinking.

Im not sure anyone at PTC knows how edge display should