Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Tables in drawing format

zpaolo

I'm starting to define a set of drawing formats for my company, I just put a nice title block table and populated it with references to the part parameters. There are some parts of the table that are "free", that is they are not linked to a part parameter, for these parts the draftsman can enter the notes he wants. Now, I noticed that the small prints I put in the table (like "drawing number", "Created by" etc) on top of the cells where actual data is, can be edited and deleted in the drawing! Is it possible to somewhat "lock" the table so that no one can change those cells?

I'm starting to define a set of drawing formats for my company, I just put a nice title block table and populated it with references to the part parameters. There are some parts of the table that are "free", that is they are not linked to a part parameter, for these parts the draftsman can enter the notes he wants. Now, I noticed that the small prints I put in the table (like "drawing number", "Created by" etc) on top of the cells where actual data is, can be edited and deleted in the drawing! Is it possible to somewhat "lock" the table so that no one can change those cells?

Put the info that you do not want edited in as a note rather than a populated table cell.

Put the info that you do not want edited in as a note rather than a populated table cell.

This is an option, but it's something I'll do when I'm not going to check the table layout anymore... On a side note, how do you work with title block data? I mean, do you put all the parameters in the part (title, description, date of creation etc) and let the drawing grab those data from the part, or do you even specify some parameters specific to the drawing?

Where I worked before parts and drawings had their own sets of parameters, because being an R&D group we needed to produce a lot of drawings for each part and of course they could not share their number and title with the part itself.

I've used the "drawing pulls parameter from the part" method with fairly good success. If I need to override that then I manually edit the title block and adjust as needed.

I've used the "drawing pulls parameter from the part" method with fairly good success. If I need to override that then I manually edit the title block and adjust as needed.

That's what I'll do too, actually I'm the only CAD user in the local branch of the company and we are not "merged" with the home company PDM system so I'm in the not so fortunate position of being my own CAD manager :D

Paolo

PS: Obviously no PDM for me, looks like it's going to be a constant in my career :D

That's what I'll do too, actually I'm the only CAD user in the local branch of the company and we are not "merged" with the home company PDM system so I'm in the not so fortunate position of being my own CAD manager :D

Paolo

PS: Obviously no PDM for me, looks like it's going to be a constant in my career :D

Sounds like the best of all possible worlds. With only one user there is no need for a bloated obscure PDM getting in your way. It's not like you are going to have some other user overwrite your changes!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back