Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SW concentric mate

VSCID

I am trying to do a concetric mate, where SW refuses to take it saying that the distance between the axes is 0.0001 inches. Is there a way I can increase this tolerance, so that SW neglects it?
I am using '06.

Thanks!

SW answer like you say if your part is fixed with other mates and SW can not move the part in the specified position (concentric in your case). Delete this mate(s) or redifine them.

Good luck !

I used SW several years ago and used ProE wf3 for 3 years prior to now. Just changed companies and they bought SW 2011.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I'm having this problem.

In order to get an assembly fully defined after applying CONSTRAINTS in ProE aka MATES in SW. I have to left click on every part in my tree and left click on FIX.

It dims all my MATES but shows the assembly to be FULLY DEFINED in the bottom right coner of the window.

BUT now I CANNOT modify a MATE. If I try to change the mateit gives methe followingerror message saying

THIS MATE IS INACTIVE BECAUSE IT IS BETWEEN FIXED COMPONENTS, AND THE FIXED PARTS ARE POSITIONED SUCH THAT IT IS NOT SATISFIED.

If I click the green check mark to accept the change it tells me that the change will be ignored.

If I delete the mate and rebuild the assembly is still FULLY DEFINED! It seems to be IGNORING the change. How weird is that.

There has to be a way to modify an assembly after it has been MATED OR CONSTRAINED.

thanks James

If you fix parts inside an assembly, those parts will be frozen inside that area. It is not possible to change their position while being fixed. SolidWorks will identify the whole assembly as 'fully defined' because no single part is moveable. The reason that this happens to you is because you made use of the Fix-button. You can recognize a fixed part, seeing the (f) at the end of the parts name.

Right-click every part and select 'Float'. Notice that the assembly will change into 'underdefined'. Now, put the parts togeher as one assembly, using Mates. The position of every part should be defined by planes, sketches, other parts etc, so it cannot rotate, move or do other undesirable things. The way how to mate parts together really depends on the complexity of your assembly.Most of the time Iuse 1 part as a centre of all other parts. If you added enough mates, the model will change into 'fully defined' again.

If your assembly isnt fully defined after adding mates, you just didnt add enough mates. Try to move/rotate parts to see which mates are missing.
Edited by: Raoul-RW

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back