Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Surface Detailing - Boundary Blend

jase951

Hi

I have a solid curved form, which I'd like to create a smooth dip/slot in the surface (for aesthetics). I've tried a boundary blend with solidify and cut, however I am returned with an error stating that the end points of my boundary blend are not intersecting form.

"The system could not construct the intersection of the part and feature"

Any idea how I could solve this?

Thanks!

Jason,

welcome to the forum. All four curves must touch like a sheet of paper. If one is pulled from the curve it touches the boundary blend will not work. Post a picture.

design-engine said:
Jason,

welcome to the forum. All four curves must touch like a sheet of paper. If one is pulled from the curve it touches the boundary blend will not work. Post a picture.
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I've recreated the Boundary Blend, but the solidify function still returns errors. I've created a number of points on the same surface and created curves from those. The middle curve dips into the surface.

1.png

2.png

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jase

Edited by: jase951

I'm assuming that curves 1 & 3 lie on the existing surface and curve 2 define the bump you are adding. Is that right?

Looks like you are only using curves (3) in one direction, right? You need to create curves in the other direction on the existing surface through your datum points and then add them to your boundary blend in the other direction. This will lock the end of the surface to the existing geometry. As it is, the end of the boundary blend is free and I think is separating from the solid, creating the error.

On points four to two you want to have a projected curve to complete the curves in the second direction. I also notice you don't have the upper portion surfaced yet. I would do that first then make this surface the blend between the two.

@dgs

Yeh you're right curves 1and3 should lie on the existing curve (I have created them using points on the surface and datum curves to join them, not sure if this will perfectly reflect the surface curvature).

I have added the end curves (using datum curve to join the points). Yet, the solidify cut still returns the same error, after adding the two end conditions.

Also, I only seem to be able to make the end conditions 'free' rather than 'tangent' or any other.

@design engine

Could you explain what you mean by projected curve and the upper portion?

Thanks!

To create the curves on the surface, they can't simply be through the points. Use a sketch projected onto the surface or use the intersect command to create a curve at the intersection of the two surfaces or use the ISDX COS (curve on surface) command. ISDX is a whole other level of complexity, though.

A curve simple created through those points has no inherent relation to the underlying surface and the resulting boundary blend will not necessarily be attached except at the points (assuming the points are attached to the surface).

dgs said:
To create the curves on the surface, they can't simply be through the points. Use a sketch projected onto the surface or use the intersect command to create a curve at the intersection of the two surfaces or use the ISDX COS (curve on surface) command. ISDX is a whole other level of complexity, though.

A curve simple created through those points has no inherent relation to the underlying surface and the resulting boundary blend will not necessarily be attached except at the points (assuming the points are attached to the surface).
I've managed to get my head around this now. I'm now using ISDX style, as suggested, to create COS. Haven't previously used ISDX, but now means I can model complex designs.

Thanks!

dgs said:
To create the curves on the surface, they can't simply be through the points.

you can create "curve thru points" that lays on a surface. there is an option for it.

or did i missunderstand you?

so, You dont have to use Isdx for this.... And, btw, in isdx the COS cant go over 2 patches. could be interersting to know , but you can create several cos that connetcts to eachother.. well.. anyway ,back to your issue, i would also (like all the others) suggest that you create "second direction curves" for your boundary blend.

//Tobias

Edited by: tobbo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back