Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

STL to PROe

survey

What is the best way to convert an stl file (from scanned data) to a solid in proe? I tried saving it as a faceted solid with shrinkwrap, but I lost a lot of detail. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Survey

You first have to convert the stl scanned data to nurb surfaces from polymesh. Pro/E 2001 (and I think Wildfire) will only work with nurb surfacing, you can bring in a stl file in proe but you can't add to or do anything to the geometry.

To convert the mesh data to nurb data is easy to do but the problem is if the mesh is really tight the conversion will take a little time and the file size will be huge. Each one of those little facets will be a nurb surface.

Email me if you need the file converted.

HTH

Brian

If you need it for manufacturing I suggest you export it at level 10 with shrinkwrap and then use the exported model in Pro/MFG. In this version of Pro/E you cannot directly manufacture an STL, but this is a nice way to do it.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back