Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

std files... what they mean.

ksboo79

recently, i've been tidying up my project files and came across some std files which obviously is telling me something but i don't understand it.

std.out file tells me Failed to initialize communications. Some features are disabled.

and std.err tells me that RAISING SIGNAL : Signal number : 11

anybody knows what these mean? these files are created everytime i start proe...

thanks in advance... ksboo

These files are generated quite frequently. Usaully anytime that something goes wrong technically. Sometimes they can be a little misleading but they are a great help. I don't know how I would do my job without them.

I was doing the same, tidying up my drive and went to look at on of these, I thought it was one of the funnier things I had ever seen

It its entirety the message was...

something is wrong, something is wrong

Must be what the rover Spirit is saying to its self on Mars. ;-)

I think these files are there to give us a false sense of security that PTC really knows why its software crashes.

i've got some info from our RAND technical support that the fail to initialise communication is due to the timeout issue and i need the latest datecode to get rid of it. And the raising signal no 11 means that there's something wrong with my graphics.. but still donno what i can do about it..

fail to initialise communication is not neccarily due to the time out issue. This message has been generated by Pro/E for a long time. It can be caused by firewall and ativirus software as well as other network issues.

Raising signal 11 is usally caused by graphics issues.

These errors will appear together sometimes and usually they do not mean that you are experiencing both issues. Once the issue causing the problem is resolved the other wil usually stop appearing.

So why are there two apparently different warnings which both disappear when you get rid of only one of the problems? PTC logic yet again.

(ksboo79) "i've got some info from our RAND technical support that the fail to initialise communication is due to the timeout issue and i need the latest datecode to get rid of it."

I think it's funny that I always get the same answer from PTC. That if I upgrade to the latestdatecode everything thing will be ok. I once questioned why they always said that and the person on the phone started bulling me.Has anybody else have this same experience.

I have never come across software which crashes so much in all my life. Fair enough, when it's working correctly it is a top-end bit of kit but it is abysmal with regards to stability. And, no, I don't accept the usual 'it's your graphics card / driver' rubbish because the same doesn't happen with other OpenGL driven programs.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back