Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Spring

I can't see very much from the picture but it looks to be a tapered spring with a radius of 2.43mm. O.K. I've created a tutorial for youbut I don't know what version of SW you are using so I can't guarantee that it will work, I'm using SW2006. Here goes. First sketch a circle on the top plane. With the circle selected, go to insert\curve\helix spiral, as shown in thepicture below.

Spring1.jpg

The image below will show you what to do next.

Spring2.jpg

No.1, set the start angle to 0, this is not necessary but it will make things easier in the next step.

No.2, determine the desired number of revolutions.

No.3, use the arrow protruding through the centre of the spring to adjust the height, alternatively you can enter a value for the pitch (This will determine the space between each revolution)

No.4, set the taper value (If desired), you can taper outward or inwards.

I should also mention that you can select variable pitch,but thatshould be self explanatory so I won't explain it unless you want me to.

No.5, select the green arrow to accept the parameters you defined in the above steps.

Spring3.jpg

Now, select whichever plane the end of the spring is touching (This is why we set the start angle to zero, you could also choose 90, 180 or 270 degrees, so long as it touches the plane, otherwise you would have to insert a 3D sketch).

Adjust the view so you are looking at right angles to the plane (Normal To) and insert sketch.

Select Circle (or whatever shape the cross-section of the spring should be), place the mouse over the spring so as to highlight it and sketch a circle at the endpoint of the spring.

Exit the sketch and proceed to the next step.

Spring4.jpg

Select the Swept Boss/Base command.

Select the circle as the profile and the helix as the path, you should get a preview as shown above.

Select the green arrow to accept this.

That is about all there is to it, good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you don't understand
smiley2.gif

JavaScript must be enabled on your web browser for you to post a message in the forum!

< = value=True name=forumCodes>Enable Forum Codes to

Use the Spiral part of "Insert\Curve\Helix/Spiral". Start with the inside diameter and spiral out.

Walt

Can you guys see my posts?

I keep getting messages that "JavaScript must be enabled on your web browser for you to post a message in the forum!" but when I visit the forum I can see my messages.

Here is a sample of a spring I made in solid works

untitled.jpg
</NO>

Yea, I can see your post. Thx alot.

I'll give it ago tomorrow.

BTW the spring is similiar to the oneyou postedexcept it's all in the same plane (in other words it is flat).

Edited by: Mas87

for spiral spring, while using helix/spiral dropdown menu, change the " defined by" option from " pitch & revoltion" to " spiral.. there u need to define number of revolutions.. thats it u got the spiral spring...

enjoy..
smiley32.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back