Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

spinning the model

cybergon

hi i'm new to this forum so i don't know if this is the right section.

well i have been working with pro engineer for quite a while now. i'm also familiar with other less proffessional 3d programs like 3ds max and zbrush.

there's something that has been bugging me for a while, and its the way the model spins when i use the middle mouse. in 3ds max, the viewer is always straight focusing the model, meaning that the Z axis of the perspective view is always aligned with the one of the model, so you don't get awkward angles like for example: if your modeling a tower it never looks as it had fallen over sidewards, no matter how you spin it.

i know some may think the current setting is good as it is, but i just can't get used to it. so if anyone can help me with this it would be very much apreciated.

so i'll stick around here and see how it goes, i hope i can get along with you guys.

so cheers, and thank you for any help.

There is a way to sort of do what you want by using dyanamic orient.

Picks:

View -> Orientation -> Reorient

Orientation dialog drop down (Orient by reference) -> Dynamic orient

If you only use the sliders for X (red) axis and H (horizontal on screen), the "vertical" edges of the model will always stay vertical.

Not as straightforward as what you are probably doing in other programs, but it gets you there.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the input man, i really apreciate it.

i've actually already tried that one but you still can get some weird angles. it seems like i'll live and die without having this mistery solved because it looks like there's just no way to do it.

maybe if you mess up with the code of the program you *might* be able to make it behave that way, but hey, i'm not a systems engineer so i have no idea...

cybergon said:
i know some may think the current setting is good as it is, but i just can't get used to it. so if anyone can help me with this it would be very much apreciated.

I don't understand if what you miss from 3dsmax is an orthogonal front view that you don't risk to "de-orient", or if you have a problem with the spinning axis control of Pro|E. I'm not familiar with Max way to spin views, if I remember right you can spin the model around a single axis (x,y or z) at a time.

To me the spinning control of Pro|E is perfect because, and this is a huge difference with other modeling software, it does not suffer from "gimbal lock", that is, you can spin it around every possible axis, even the one that is orthogonal to your view, with the help of the "CTRL" button. You can not "restrict" it to spin around a selected axis, but I may be wrong.

What you ask can be obtained probably selecting the "front" view and middle+dragging in a straight horizontal line, you'll have to get used to it but it's not impossible to achieve :)

Paolo

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back