Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

SolidWorks to Pro/E

mgnt8

I probably should be asking this in the SolidWorks forum but I haven't seen much action over there lately so I'll give it a shot here. I've got an IGES file from SW that I'm trying to bring into Pro/E butfile size istoo big, around 87 mb. Its a fairly complicated part but nothing on it leads me to believe it would bea fraction of thatif it was modeled in Pro/E. I'm told that the SW default accuracy is 1E-08. I don't know much about SW but if I modeled a part in Pro/E with accuracy so low, it would be huge. Does anyone know if accuracy in SW parts or imports can be adjusted down for easier translation to Pro/E? Why is the SW default accuracy so low?

Can't help you on the accuracy question, but on the other side why don't you ask for a parasolid or step file.

If you do eventually get that iges file in Pro/E, chances are you are going to have to fix some surfaces inorder to solidify the part. If you had a step file your chances are really good it will already be solidified.

I'm sure under Tools, Options in SaladWorks there is an accuracy prompt.

One thing to remember is that SolidWorks (and most other CAD systems) only use absolute accuracy, not the relative accuracy that is the default in Pro/E. But something must be wrong with that iges file if it is not an extremely complex part.

Thanks dr - the STEP file was 100mb. They managed to send me a parasolid that was only 3mb. I think they made a parasolid of the part and then a parasolid of the parasolid or something along those lines. However, the surfaces are all distorted upon import and the accuracy is still off the charts. I must be missing something here because accuracy on such a small scale just doesn't make any sense to me.

We use SolidWorks and ProE, and have no such problems. You can try asking them to send a ProE file from Solidworks. You can save a .prt file in SolidWorks, its just the same as importing an IGES or STEP. this might help

The prt file was about 40 mb which was still too big for me to do any reasonable work on it. Is there a way to reduce the accuracy or resolution of exported files like prt or step?

40mb is large but not uncommon, you should be able to work on it no problem. There may be some degenerative edges that need fixing, but your best bet is to remove any complex geometry before you export from SolidWorks. Normally its a good idea to remove most of the rounds as these are easy to add back on in ProE and use up alot of memory. I don't think you can change the accuracy of the export settings, and even if you could you wouldn't want to. Sorry I can't help any further

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back