Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Solid Bodies

joes123

Hi All

I am pretty new to solidworks and would like to know if any1 can help me out. I have drawn a object up as a solid body in solidworks 2009.

Does any1 know if there is a way to convert this to a surface body?

Shelling could be an option, but it is still a solid body of a small thickness.

To create a surface body, use the "Offset Surface" command to make a copy of it selecting all tangent surfaces, and set the offset distance to zero. Use the "delete body" command and select the solid body to remove the solid body leaving only the surface body remaining.

Chris

Hi

Thanks I have now created a surface body, but i have some holes which were extruded though the object.

I can't seem to extrude these cuts through the model, any idea why or do you know how I would achieve this?

Hi,

If the holes where created before the surface body, the holes should be present in the surface body. I suspect this is the case, and now you wish to extrude the cut-out created by the hole.

Try using a ruled surface, and select the edge from the cut-out of the hole. This will extrude the hole surface. You will need to experiment with the type (Normal to surface, Perpendicular to vector, sweep, etc.) to get the desired results for orientation and direction.

Chris

Edited by: c_thompson_68

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back