Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Slicing a Model

aem8927

Hello,

I don't know if any of you are familiar with a competition called FSAE. it is a race put on by the Society of Automotive Engineers every year in several places around the world. This competition is for a college to design, build, and race in what is roughly a small open wheeled F1 style car. So with out going into too much detail, if you want more email me I'll see what I can explain. well anyway my question/problem is I need to slice a model I've created.

We are designing an air duct to take air from under the car, route it through the radiator and then dump it behind the car. This is no problem to design, I did a mock up of the frame using space curves and then connected the points that I wanted, but now it's time to build the beast, and I want to slice it into 2 inch thick sections so we can make a mold to lay carbon fiber on. IS this possible? Can you slice a model like you can in AutoCAD? I really hope this is possible, any help would be greatly apreciated.

thanks already,

Adam McGough

Tennessee Technological University

Of course you can, the question is how.

Do your slice cuts have to be normal to the trajectory (am assuming you're using a sweep feature) or what ?

Well...... I hate to say it but no, I'm not sweeping this. I thought that might be feasable, but the shape got to be a bit too complex, (it's really curved). so I ended up having to draw space curves to show the edges, then use these edges as boundries for a quilt, which then became my solid model. Was this an ass backwards way of doing it?

Adam McGough

Tennessee Technological University

Oh, I forgot a part of your question, no I was actually looking to make all my cuts parallel to the right Datum, it runs right down the middle of my part

Just extrude a cut 2 wide at a distance x from your right datum.

Add x to a family table and just type in all the x distances you want to use. You'll have a bunch of instances you can then use for manufacturing...

Man, that worked awesome, thanks alot for your help this is exactly what I needed.

Thanks again,

Adam McGough

Tennessee Tech

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back