Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sketcher distorting .dwg import paths

DANKO

Hey there - Righeo -

I'm trying to add a logo to component, by using the "data from file", in sketcher mode - i add the data as a .dwg file that i exported from illustrator. Then i place the paths in their correct orientation and rotation and hit return - everything is fine up to now.

When the paths are actually applied to the model in sketcher - the ends of all the straight paths form tangents with thier joining (as in, end to end) paths - making a cool logo look very much like its made out of jelly.

What the hell is going on.

please help

ok there should be an image uploaded with this of a "w.b" which was originally in a lovely font but has now been wierdly distorted.... why ?

You can see that all the nice angular corners have now been made into tangents...

View attachment 2917
Edited by: DANKO

Import into part mode instead of sketcher and Use Edge.

I can think of several things I might try, from making
sure the exports are degree 1 and 2 curves, 3 only when
necessary, to disabling appropriate sketcher constraints
(Sketcher -> Options) prior to reading the import in.
Just guessing, though. Not something I do.

Hey Jeff - unfortunately changing the options panel in sketcher (un ticking the tangency box) didnt work - and i dont have the option to export as differetnt types of curves from illustrator.

cheers Dan

Then I think I'd try reading into Part mode vs. Sketcher.
Set up a correctly positioned csys to reference for import?

Think you do have the option of turning off Sketcher Intent Manager
for the import, but that might just turn into a can of worms.

Dunno. Not something I have any real experience with.
Can you post your example export?
Maybe a couple of different flavors (*.ia, *.igs, *.dxf, ...?).

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back