Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sketch Relations and Display Issues

coldAC

Excuse the newbitry please.

I was given an extruded rectangular solid that has hole locations all
marked out. I need the hole locations for my part is basically a angled offset adapter. I'm using the solid as one side of the adapter. However, once I take the hole locations off the given
sketch with "create sketch from selections", I no longer have the parent/child
relationship to the extrusion and my sketch "disappears from the extrusion surface.

How can I
do about relating this new sketch to the surface of the extrusion so
the relations are there as I add more sketching on this part?

I've been searching high and low and can't make any headway.

Thanks in advance.

Just wanted to add more information for clarity.

I've also tried using a "derived sketch" where it maintains the parent/child and still have an issue.

In a basic model, I have a port in a rectangular solid. Now I wish to "extract" the shape and location of the port as a 2D sketch on one surface of the solid and delete the original extrude-cut port. My issue currently is the new sketch does not show relations, not snapable to, and is invisible upon exiting the specific sketch.

I'm guessing my methodology in approaching this is wrong.

coldAC,

click on the original "sketch" and indicate "show". You will be able to utilze it over and over again to generate new sketches via edge curve, etc.. This works with the contour select tool as well.

I hope this answers your question.

good luck
smiley32.gif

ttraser,

The thing is my sketches are set to "show" already. That's what I don't get.

At this point, I think the previous user did something with the solid to "hide" sketches as I did the methods on a new test part I created and the sketch lines stay. What would be the possible causes of this? I've checked appearances and changed all the settings to match my test part and still no joy.

Thanks again!

HAHAHAHA.... I am the largest dope ever.

Thank you ttraser! The previous person had "hide all" selected... So even with the show in the featuretree, it was overriding.

Thanks ttraser!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back