Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Sketch: entity from edge

kgrande

Hi all,

I use the entity from edge a lot in my sketches since I generally work with non-planar surfaces(boats). However I experience that the entity from edge loses it reference really easy. Is there any way to re-attach the reference? It seems the entity is a spline when it has lost it reference.

Now I am always deleting it, and redoing it. That is really a pain in the neck becasue it can be time consuming in the sketch to redo radiuses, dimensions etc but most of all because it gives new problems down the track with missing references and so on.

If I can't re-attach the entity are there any tricks to help keep the reference in the first place? In any case that is something I should try to do better.

Kris

kgrande said:
...loses it reference really easy. Is there any way to re-attach the reference? ...

I've occasionally had that happen for seemingly inexplicable reasons. Sometimes it's the result of a change in the referenced geometry that made updating ambiguous (a referenced curve or edge is split into two entities, etc.). Sometimes it's recoverable by selecting the reference in Sketch Reference dialog and clicking "Update Reference". I've occasionally gotten lucky (I guess) and deleting / re-creating the reference recovered all the constraint relationships. I don't know of any way to make the process more fail-safe but might suggest Undo-ing out of a failure and trying to figure out what's causing the failure before trying again.

If your sketch entity loses the reference do not delete but replace it in the sketch.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

What I do is create new exaggerated offset (to not have an overlay of the new and old ones) from the edges in question,replace old sketch entities and adjust the new entities to the real dimension. Always use offset edge even if offset is 0 because that gives you additional flexibility.

In WF2.0 you can use external sketches and tha offset edge from the sketch provided that your 3D entities aqre created by 2 sketch projections.

Thanks,

I haven't tried yet, but if I replace the entity I will still have problems with other features referencing my entity? But in any case it is better than what I have been doing....

Kris

In most of the cases you will not have problems. For instance if your edge is rounded after you should not lose the reference. "Replace" not only replace the entity but is supposed also to reroute all references to new entity from the old one<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back