Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Site Improvements... Suggestions welcome!

So, I'm curious. Was this just a feel good exercise orare some of these changes going to be implemented?
smiley2.gif

<DIV>I have posted a suggestion previously in the Modeling: RENDERING...Q&A and GALLERY topic as well as in Animation: Comparing different rendering software.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I was advised to post in this topic but couldn't up to now.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>DGS was kind enough to show me how to post here: go toany forum and click the last blue page numberunder Site Improvements... Suggestions welcome! topic (currently pg 3) You then get a Post Reply box.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>See my next post for what I wanted to suggest.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

<DIV>Shouldn't the Animation forum be called Animaton& Rendering? Or even better, make a new "Rendering" forum. This forum can then be usedto start specifictopics concerning rendering such as specific rendering issues, software discussions etc.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>There is a "Rendering... Q&A Gallery"topic under Modeling, whichis getting too long in amount of posts andtoo general to discussspecific rendering topics such as software etc. The "Rendering... Q&A Gallery" topic can then always just be moved to the new Animation & Rendering or standalone Rendering forum. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If people can start their own specific rendering topics, they will. It will be much better for searching posts as well.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks in advance :)</DIV>

is it only me or everybody has a problem with MCAD Central Daily Update and e-mail notification for new post in watched thread?

muadib3d said:
is it only me or everybody has a problem with MCAD Central Daily Update and e-mail notification for new post in watched thread?

Latest Mail server upgrade didn't go as smoothly as I had wanted...
smiley18.gif
and two days worth of emails got log jammed in the outbox. Should be flowing correctly shortly.

Edited by: cdtoad

I think the picture size should be increased. For me it's not a problem because I have access to gigs of design engine online servers.... but for everyone else 150 is a minimum and a picture helps us see what were trying to solve.And I like the idea of off topic so i can talk about motorcycles ;) Ill be in Florida for two weeks in March

How about a mechanism to ward off spam? My email about new posts this morning was huge. It looks like the posts are being dealt with after the fact, but how about before?

One other thing might be after logging in, you get redirected back to where you were before. Sometimes I click a link in the daily update email, go to the page, have to log in to post or something, and then have to find where it was again. Usually if I don't exactly know I'll click the link again or go to log in on a different tab, then refresh my main one, but that's just a work-around.

Besides those two things, I think this is a great place that I always highly recommend to everyone in the field in need. Thanks and keep up the good work.

Brandon, there are several of us that try and keep the spam off here. I come by 3 or 4 times a day to delete the spam, but they are evidently using a proxy, so blocking the IP address isn't stopping it.

Playing the proxy game and trying to kill them all is kill wack-a-mole. Looking at a better "captcha" now since current one bots have figured out.

Idea: could we implement some kind of chat room? I think it could be useful to have a chatroom where people could get quick responses to easy questions. It may not work out like I picture it, but is it something you're interested in trying out?

How about a using a math question like
X=29*2 -17 linked to a *captcha* image you could display 4 images next to answers A,B,C,D

X=?
A.) 15 , Os6d5$2!
B.) 48, Kl8dfQg2
C.) 75, s3ah?l^z
D.) 41, YL2eSxpq

Answer D. Person/bot would have to enter
YL2eSxpq

Hopefully Bots don't take standardized tests. :)
color coded security word
View attachment 5465

or use image like this and have it be Caps Sensitive most aren't
2011-12-07_131111_hipImageDirect.srf=YL2eSxpq.jpg

Final suggestion Allow any forum user to Tag a Forum as SPAM and have a SPAM tag and forum. If it's not spam it can then be set back to Inbox or posted forum much like email scanners do.

If you wan't to be careful this isn't abused by users who just dislike a topic you can show the post in the original and SPAM location so it is still shown. Or remove the page and give your usual This Post does not exist error

Michael

apologies for posting this here - but i'm trying to attract the attention of an administrator - why am i excluded from posting in site improvements?

Just an FYI - The Solidworks forum seems to be broken (again), I couldn't create any new posts there.

Had the same issue as Doug with both Pro/E and SolidWorks Forum posting yesterday good thing I save copies of all my responses before hitting submit.

Here's the error I got

Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a0400'Expected statement/solidworks/forum/post_message.asp, line 123
<% if server_response <> "" or newCaptcha then
^Michael

I sent a Private Message to cdtoad (Admin) and dmiyares (Admin), other than that I don't know what else to do. As a Mod all I can do is delete spam.

Hey all... new Captcha on all posts. Set it up on the Solidworks forum over the weekend. Had a freelancer bail and left quite a mess. Anyhow... it's a tad annoying with the (C) and all but there were no spam posts on the SolidWorks forum over the weekend.

OH.. also

cdtoad & dmiyares are one in the same ;)

both can be reached at dmiyares @ wtwhmedia dot com

-Dave (cdtoad) Miyares

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back