Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

sintering, rapid prototyping, etc

2ms1

I realize this isn't a Pro/E question really, but there are so many knowledgable people around here that I just had to ask here:

I need to make a prototype with significantly higher tollerances, surface finish quality, etc than our Dimension SST ABS plastic machine produces. However, I need much lower cost than what I've seen is typical of metal laser sintering, for example. I've gotten quotes for parts made out of steel with an Eos M270 and it's just far too expensive for this project.

Can anyone tell me what options there are in between these two types of rapid prototyping? For example, are there very high quality plastic prototyping machines that are closer in price-to-produce-partsto our Dimension SST yet capable of the higher general accuracy etc of the metal sintering machines?
Edited by: 2ms1

We have a 3D systems Invision XT proto machine. I believe its an acrylic polymer, UV cured in the machine. The support material has a lower melting point than the part material so it is easily melted off. I think the surface quality is pretty good, the resolution of the machine in X,Y,Z is approx. .0030"x.0030"x.0016".

Its much smoother than sls and sla. In my opinion.

Threads work very well, even fine threads. If you need it to be pressurized it can to a certain extent.

I would check it out, as long as it has the strength requirements you want.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back