Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Simple Question - Diameter Dimension

Goat

I am very new to Pro/E and was wondering how to dimension a diameter manually; it keeps giving me a radius and I can get the diameter by 'show dimensions' but then I have to clean up the whole drawing and all I want is one dimension. Any help is appreciated.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Thanks

Goat,

if you are in a drawing left mouse button click the circle or curve twice to get a diameter measurement.

If in a revolved sketch feature, you can make a center line for the revolve. Click the vertex-->center line--> vertex again-->confirm. You will then get a dimension showing a diameter that the revolve will produce.

If you make the dimension a diameter in the sketch, it will show as a diameter in the drawing, if you choose to show the dimensions.

cheers,

M

Edited by: magneplanar

Thanks for the reply but it's not working.

I am in a drawing and click the "create a standard dimension with new references" button and left click twice on the hole and then middle mouse button to place the dimension and it gives me nothing (specified dimension could not be created). The holes were created using the hole feature.

Is there any reason why this method would not work?

Goat,

Don't double click on the hole, click on the circle itself and check that the selection tool is set to 'On Entity'

Kev

Goat,

It appears you figured out what to do, congrats...

With the setting of "on entity", as Prohammy mentioned, anything that has a radius you can just click twice on the line that forms the edge of the opening or curve, and then middle mouse button to accept, as you now know. A diameter dimension should be made.

It is also possible to show the dimensions of a hole using the show erase dialogue box, which will show all of the dimensions depending on what you set the selection to be (ie: feature, feature and view...etc).

cheers,

M

Thanks for the replies; I was showing all the dimensions and deleting all but the diameter so it was tedious as I just wanted the onediameter dimension.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Thanks for the responses/help

Goat,

If you want to use Show/Erase to show a diameter dimension (and you choose the shoe by view option), once you have identified which dimension you want, hit the 'select to keep' tab in the Show/Erase box, pick the dimension/dimensions and hit OK.

This will keep only the dimensions you selected, NOT every dimension

Kev

Clicking Twice Brings up dialog box

I'm using Creo 2.0 Parametric. I know how to do a diameter dimension normally. Pick dimension, pick both sides of the circle, then middle click and it appears. Well for some reason it brings up a dialog box that I have to pick Center, Tangent, or Concentric with ARC PNT TYPE at the top of the dialog box. Picking concentric just gives a 0.00 dimension that makes no sense. With center and tangent you either pick either of those twice and it wants me to pick a way to orientate the dimentions with options, horizontal vertical slanted parallel normal, in a different dialog box

This is a revolved part and I clicked show model annotations but it shows nothing useful. Is there another way to create a diameter dimension?

Don't pick both sides of the circle. Just double click on the same part of the circle then middle button.

create dimension
double click the circle at the same location quickly
middle mouse button to land the dimension location

I tested this. If you double click on just one side of the hole, then middle click to place it, it will give you the diameter dimension. Single click will give you the radius. If you do it using your method, you will get the dialog box you mention.

-Rebo

:)
I didn't see the second page.

Last edited:
OK, just thought I'd point out the obvious. Who else thinks that this is a ridiculous method to dimension something? If you walked up to Creo from ANY other CAD package (2d or 3d), you could spend HOURS trying to figure this out. I had stepped away from Creo for a while and had to have someone remind me. Couldn't there be an option in the menu manager, or at least a "Show As Diameter" toggle when the dimension is right-clicked on? One of the best examples of the non-intuitiveness of the interface. You'd think they could take a page out of any other CAD software and make a better tool.

OK, rant over, just something that really irritates me.

Hang on for the ride ;) don't forget your helmet and life jacket. After all Creo is twice as fast as WF 5 .

Last edited:

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back