Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Section views in an assembly

mekaneck

Is there a way to make a section view in an assembly (like cutting an assembly in half so I can easily view and select internal components)?

I know about component display and transparency to make it easier to view internal components, but I'd like to be able to have a 3D cross-section without physically making an assembly cut (and later deleting it).

I used to do this all the time in SolidWorks, and I am really missing the functionality in ProE.

make your desired sections in assembly mode. The icon is view manager and in there there is cross section. Offcourse you can make sections in drawing mode but its better and easy to do so in part or assembly mode.

Israr

I'm not looking to make a cross section to be used for a drawing. I want to actually remove (temporarily) half of an assembly so that I can see inside it, without ever leaving assembly mode.

If I am misunderstanding you, please let me know. Thanks

Israr is correct, you can make a cross-section in assy mode (in Wildfire, not 2001) and take either side of the cross section away.

Go to Tools, Model Sectioning, create a cross section you desire, then go to Display (make sure your in shade mode), Set Visible, Clip Front or Back, Check off Show Cross Section Geometry, hit the glasses to preview

Brian

Or, if you're not using Wildfire, you could always make an assembly cut which cuts through all components. Could be laborious in large assemblies, though.

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm in 2001, not wildfire. So it seems I'm stuck with an assembly cut.

Oh, well. Thanks for your help guys. At least that's one thing I can look forward to when my company swithes to wildfire!

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back