Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Scale of the model

Bob14

Hello,

Is it possible to see if somebody applied "scale model" to the model.

We work with models from costumers and for some reasons we applie "scale model" to simulated an mould (shrinkage)for fit on the machine.

But after months you open the model again but we can't see if the "scale model" was applied or not. (we now added 3D note to the model). But we need to check older models.

With regards,

I believe you should have a drawing or at least you shouldknow what are the overall dimensions of the model. So it should be pretty easy to measure let's say the length of the part and see if the length is the same with the one on the drawing or the one you know it should be.

If they are not the same then it was scalled.

Bob,

I've had the same issues. When I use SolidWorks, the re-scaling of the part shows up as a feature. I haven't seen anything on ProE to show you that the part has been rescaled.

Michael

michael3130 said:
Bob,

I've had the same issues. When I use SolidWorks, the re-scaling of the part shows up as a feature. I haven't seen anything on ProE to show you that the part has been rescaled.

Michael

Hmmmm, Look at that. I have not scaled a Pro-E model but like you, back in SW scale was a feature that was applied to the model so anything before the scale was not scaled and anything after the scale had the scale factor applied.

Out of curiosity I just scaled a 1 x 1 x 1 block in ProE to see what would happen. Scale does what it says, but it seems to scale all of the dimensions rather than apply a global scale factor to the existing solid only. This doesn't seem very useful as you lose all of the original dimensions plus you lose the ability to change the scale factor since it's not a feature on it's own.

I'm curious if there's a way to save the scale factor as a feature now though.

Michael

Hello

Thanx for your replies,

Sometimes we don't have the original info, so then its a gamble if the scaling is applied or not. With original drawing/model it is just measuring en dividing to get the scalefactor.

I have also looked in the file (with texteditor)to see if isomewhere could find the scale feature or factor, but nothing.

I like to see the scale as a feature (that is always traceable and changeable afterwards)

Bob

Hi Guys,

I played about with a model this morning (much more interesting than the other work I have on)and there is a way to scale the model and have it show as a feature.

It can be done using the Warp command - transform.

This shows as a feature and you can find out what scale the model has been altered by. One problem I can see with it though is that once the model has been scaled by whatever factor is chosen, I can't seem to pull radius or diameter dimensions off the model in the part or in drafting. Any ideas anyone?

Michael

This is sort of half the answer:

I tried this with the 1X1X1 block: create block, save, scale model, save; search both files for "scale"

Open file in Wordpad and If you search the text file ( for "scale" - on models that have been scaled you will see:

"typed_data(ScaleModelData)" in amongst some gibberish.

Models not scaled will not have that text.

Unfortunately it doesn't give what factor was used unless it is buried in that gibberish part (encrypted?)

I suppose you would at least know a scaling factor had been applied to the model though....

TK

Hello everyone who helped me,

Thanx thats wat i needed to know, if only i knew if the scale factor is applied i can work further. (we normaly uses 2,5% to 3,5% shrinkage on the products for checken if the mould can fit on the machine).

If there is applied a scale factor then i know enough. Thanx and i will apply the warp feature in the future.

With regards Bob

Bob14 said:
I like to see the scale as a feature (that is always traceable and changeable afterwards)

With Pro Mold you get scale (Shrinkage) as afeature for your reference part in a mold assembly. It leaves the original part model unaltered which is important if the original part has a drawing associated with it. Shrinkage, used with the new ref part as an inheritance feature, gives you total control to modify the ref part as needed for molding without affecting the original part.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back