Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

RSD 7.0 Rant

cbenner

smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley7.gif

Don't waste your time or money on this release of RSD. It is one of the worst, most bug filled softwares I have ever had the displeasure to work with! Serenity now! Serenity now!

I think I feel a little better now,... but I still hate this software!

RSD 6 was fine. Did everything we wanted it to do. Then we switched to RSD 7, because it had the one thing 6 didn't have... a Central Catalog. Not good.... not good at all.I am continuously fighting synchronization errors, and once in a while,... for no apparent reason, a design that I closed with no trouble Friday night... opens up Monday morning so corrupted that I can't even delete artifacts from it. All links to the Central Catalog are FUBAR and the design that took me 3-4 days to complete is worthless. In this case, about 3 weeks worth of work is suspect at best,... toast at worst. We're even toying with going back to AutoCAD for these designs since we don't have the time to fight with RSD before our deadline.

For anything new, it's BACK to RSD 6 until PTC can work out the problems with 7.

smiley35.gif

ikes. I am sure your issues are logged....

I want to learn RSD so bad. Many of our students without job experience can really stand out with RSD on their resume.

Edited by: design-engine

Do you know if RSD 7.0 was released because of the need to have a version that can run on 64 bit machines? Iinstalled RSD 6.0 but could not get it to run. I assumed it was because my machine is 64 bit. The download site didn't make a distinction as to which download was for 32 bit versus 64 bit.

There is a version of 6.0 that runs on 64 bit. That's what we started with here. The main distinction of 7.0 was the Central Catalog... which we thought was going to be the best thing sice sliced bread.... but I think they have some work to do before it actually works! You get strange errors for no reason that kill the design.

We're going back to 6.0 for the time being.

Thanks for the info. I'll try and see if I can find the version of 6.0 that works.

As it turned out, the Setup.exe file in the download was corrupt and wouldn't run. I finally got RSD 6.0 installed and find I like it much better.

The issue I originally was ranting about is still in the hands of PTC Tech. They were baffled by the error when I first reported it. They have had my entire design since then trying to lock it down. Since then I have seen other strange errors popping up from time to time, but so far only the one design (the largest one) is corrupted beyond repair. I've spent another week or more redrawing the entire thing in RSD 6 (not taking any more chances).
smiley18.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back