Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

rotational patterns explained for wf

puppet

i simply can not work it out. for some reason.

any able to give me a step by step approach to it.. so i can print it out, and follow instructions? my brain really isnt switched on for some reason. since this shoudl be very very simple.

create the first feature (to pattern) with make datum , pause the creaion and create datum on the fly, and then use the angle for pattern.

Israr

create the first feature, for the REFERENCE PLANE of this feature use make datum to create a plane THROUGH an AXIS and at an ANGLE to another plane.

Now when you go to pattern the feature the angle will show up as a dimension you can vary.

In WF 2.0 , change the type to AXIS instead of dimension and pick the axis to pattern around, set the number and increment, done

I highly recommend Wildfire 2.0 for rotational patterning. It is very easy. Just make the first feature like any other. When complete, select that feature, right click and select pattern, (or in the menu Edit:pattern). In the dashboard switch from Dimension to Axis, then select an axis you want to pattern around. Then select the total number of members in the pattern and the degrees of rotation per feature. It defaults to 4 pattern members at 90 degree increments.

you would think they could have done that rather in earlier versions..

autocad has been doing it for years :)

pro-e 1034434 points autocad 1

:)

Israr said:
create the first feature (to pattern) with make datum ,
pause the creaion and create datum on the fly, and then use the angle
for pattern.

Israr

I do it that way, but when I want to create for example 6 copies at an
angle of 60 degrees (thus making up a full circle) I usually end up
with only a half circle filled: 3 parts are overlapping with the
other 3...

Sometimes it works okay, but usually I can only create a 'half circle'....
smiley19.gif

Kind regards

Eddy

Puppet,

Yes I did. I created a datum plane AND a datum axis (the rotational axis) on the fly and used only these as reference items.

Kind regards
Eddy

hey guys i dont why u guys are not getting, hey eddyve look i have got the 8 protusions patternned, it just u have to create a datum on fly and use it for patterning

<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">

View attachment 537</BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel like an idiot but no matter what I try, I keep getting 5 features instead of 8. Well, 3 of the 8 are overlapping with 3 of the other 5 features.
It must be something I do wrong but I don't know what.

I remember having this same problem with 2000i2, now I'm using WF 1.0.
(don't tell me that an upgrade will fix this problem...
smiley1.gif
)

I tried putting the cilinder feature (in sketcher) on a construction circle instead of simply defining the radius, but that does not help.
I feel like I'm doing this 'by the book': starting a new feature creation, pausing the feature creation to create a datum plane on the fly. For this datum plane I use the main cilinder axis as primary reference, and I select one of the main datumplanes as angle reference plane. This creates a datum plane through the main cilinder axis with an angle I can adjust.
Then I hit the 'resume' button, select the main cilinder upper surface as sketching plane and go to sketcher.
Here I use the datum-plane-on-the-fly as sketching reference, together with the main cilinder axis.
I create a construction circle and draw a circle on the intersection of the reference plane (created on the fly) and the construction circle.
I quit sketcher and create the feature.

Then I pattern the feature, using the datum-plane-on-the-fly's angle as pattern dimension. 45 degrees, 8 items..... 8 items are created but I see only 5 because 3 overlap with the others....
smiley19.gif

Sad regards
Eddy
smiley2.gif

"Then I hit the 'resume' button, select the main cilinder upper surface as sketching plane and go to sketcher.

Here I use the datum-plane-on-the-fly as sketching reference, together with the main cilinder axis."

I believe someone mentioned this above but it wasn't clear:

BEFORE entering sketcher, make sure you select your new datum as your
REFERENCE plane. Then enter sketcher. I you do it right,
you won't have to select the plane from inside sketcher, as it will be
your horizontal reference. Select your axis as your additional
ref. Now sketch your circle on that plane at a distance from the
axis and you're good to go.

Edited by: JD

You are obviously picking something wrong and causing it to flip half way through the pattern. If upload the model I will fix the problem and give you an explanation.

Also, try changing the type to AXIS in WF and pattern that way. It is pretty independent of make datums.

KVision, thanks a lot for your offer!

But JD's answer was spot on!
smiley1.gif

After selecting the sketching plane, I always accepted the default reference plane.

Then, once I 'arrived' in sketcher and the references dialog box popped
up, I selected the datum-plane-on-the-fly and another reference item. That was
my mistake! I should have selected the datum-plane-on-the-fly as a
reference plane right after selecting the sketching plane!

This mistake has cost me countless moments of frustration! Thanks ever so much for helping me out with this !!!
smiley20.gif
smiley32.gif

Kind regards

Eddy

Edited by: EddyVE

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back