Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Reynard Chassis

davidmoore83

Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm not completely new to pro e but am not a CAD genius either. I'm using Pro E 2001 as well before i say anything else. I'm currently on placement and am putting an existing Reynard Chassis into pro engineer. The problem i have is for those of you that know what a reynard chassis looks like its all different size tubing, some square some round and all at weird and wonderful angles. I don't know whether to split the chassis down into parts then assemble it in blocks, make it has a single part!? I have to construct this thing so that if i want to modify any dimensions the whole chassis will regenerate properly etc....can anyone help i'm sat here 8hrs a day not knowing where to start and with pro e beeping errors etc at me. I am fairly good at modelling individual parts but the scale and complexity of this chassis has caught me out.

Cheers

Dave

I'm not a genius with things like that either, but I've modeled space frames before. The best way I can think of to do it is make all the parts seperately with a family table. Make a generic square tube, a generic round tube, etc. You can have different end cuts and turn them on and off in the table for the different parts. You'll have to be extremely careful when you assemble it as to how you attach everything. I would stay away from surfaces if at all possible. Perhaps try to constrain the parts using datum points?

Hope this helps.

Also, BTW...I'm an engineer for Wheels America Racing. We run in the Speed World Challenge Touring Car series. Are you allowed to say who you're working for?

I can't really say i don't think, but aside from work i work on The University of Manchester Racing Team. Can you explain this family table idea to me and this generic tubing do i make one for each size of square tubing presumably? Sorry i sound so stupid but i'm really struggling here. Have you got a website for Wheels America Racing?

David,

You could use a skeleton approach. Simply drawing datum curves in assembly and having each datum curve represent a part number or name, it lightweight designing.

You have to approach the chassis as what area do you think will change the most. Using the datum curve method you could attach the datum curves to other parts of the chassis so if the chassis grows in height the other members will grow with it. You cut down the no. of dimensions to modify by alot and still have a robust design.

I work for a performace parts manufacturer called Moroso Performance Products and I'm teaching our engine dyno guy and one of our chassis builders Pro/Engineer, they really like it. The dyno guy wants to build his dragster in Pro.

Shoot me an email if you need anymore help

Brian(remove)[email protected]

cant' add much to the responses but to help you with the

>>

and with pro e beeping errors etc at me

>>

go to your config.pro and add this

bell NO

;-)

Hi Moroso,

I would have e-mailed your personnel address but i didn't understand what the (remove) was all about. How do you mean datum curves in an assembly? I made a 'wire' chassis using datum curves but it was a single part. The problem with this was i presumed the datum curves would be at the centres of the pipes/tubes....this won't work however because all my pipes and tubes are of different shapes and sizes so it gave an innacurate model.....so please explain the datum curve assembly if possible :)

Thanks

Dave

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back