Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

retaining datum references

chesterman

I have created a complex molded fuel tank. Our vendor who is molding this part for us would like to change the filler neck threads. They had a model of the standard neck they would like to use. I cut my filler neck off, created a new assembly, added their filler neck & saved as a merged solid shrinkwrap to make it a part again. When saving the shrinkwrap I choose to copy datum refs from the original part, thinking this would keep the view orientation in the original drawing consistant. It doesn't. My question is how can I retain the same datum refs in the drawing when creating a new part. I removed the default coordinate sys and datums from the shrinkwrap so the only planes are the copied ones from the shrinkwrap. Thanks for the replies and sorry to be so long winded.

Are you orienting the views in the drawing by reference (datum planes) or by view? If you are using the datum planes to orient your drawing view, then you'll have some problems. Try creating a view in the part, then orient the view on the drawing using the view you created.

Tried manipulating the views both ways, I can get the views to clean up, they just loose all inserted dims, sections and some of the detailed views. Since I am using the original model in the assembly the surface ID's shouldn't change and from manual comparison the datums are placed the same. I just can't figure out why the views aren't orietated like before.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back