Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Restrict shell feature?

I am in 2001, so WF Shell may have more features. You cannot shell certain a certain area. There are no options for stopping the proliferation of the shell such as a stop plane or remove surfaces or only apply to chosen surfaces. I wish such options existed. Looks like your only option is to cut away the material.

it123,

Yes you can do it in Wildfire or WF2.

Select the parting surface or plane as draft hinge and then right click and click on "split by split option". With this you have option to draft independently both sides of draft hinge. So you don't draft the other side.

Israr

I dont want to make a draft i want to make a shell

And i cant see how i can make a shell using the draft tool.

Specially around the posts

Which volume are you referring to? the one on the right?

Well there is a small workaround. Re-arange the features (the two voulumes) so you have

Left Volume

|_

Shell

Right Volume

This way the right volume is not affected and i get the desired result

But when i try to shell the right volume (which is my next step) it
tires to shell the left volume as well (which already has a shell)

Since i have not settled on wall thickness it would be a big problem
building a new part or heavilly modifying it every time i change my
mind about the wall thickness

The part will be injection moulded

Ofcourse it will have the drafts and rounds etc but thats the easy stuff

it123,

The Shell feature can be a pain. I see it Shelling out under the protusion to the right. You may just want to Cut the surface since there are few features to deal with. Dim the cut to the outside walls to easly control your wall thickness. Hope this helps.

Mr.Plastic

you are right about the shelling out on the right

I will have to do it by doing a cut like you said

But there will be a web in the shell, plus a draft angle for every
feature and a round, i just hope i dont have to do it all over again if
i change the thickness...

thanks for the suggestions all

I guess if add a few dim relationships it wont be that difficult

But i fear I will stamble across it later...

This reminds me the last time i bought climbing rope and one salesman
asked the other "why do u use rope" and the other replied "so if one
falls, he will take the rest with him"

i123,

Yes, Dim the Cut to the outside wall to give your wall thickness so all you do is change that Dim to adjust wall- the only thing is re-calculate the Cut depth. Also, make your drafts then rounds.

Hope this helps,

Mr.Plastic

if you create the cut using a quilt from surface offsets the wall thickness and depth will always update.

Mike

it123,

Watch me get in trouble with this post.

I don't know how long you have been working with Pro but Iwill give you a bit of unsolicited advice from a long, long time Pro user. Avoid using the Shell command unless someone has a gun to your head. The good part is...it's fast and it's easy. The bad part is...it's fast and it's easy. If I were on a witness stand andan attorney asked me what was the most evil command in the Pro/E world, I would answer The Shell. In fifteen years I have had more trouble rerouting, redefining and dealing with shells buried at feature 5, 6 or 7 of 1000 than ANY OTHER FEATURE hands down. Imaginethe difficulty you are having with your model multiplied by an order of magnitude or greater.The Shell istruly evil, my friend. I have rarely in my experience, I can count on one hand, ever agreed with the Shell in it usage in a part. It is a very specific command with specific uses,not a general one as many think it is. Users utilize it way too often and too casually.

I await the flame
smiley18.gif

I never use shell for the same reason but I have wasted more time fixing models where people have mirrored geometry. I had always considered that to be the most evil command.

Mike

Agreed about the Shell from hell,

Unfortunitly, I need to use it with my plastic designs. I have learned to use the investigate tool to figure why it won't shell. Lot of problems come from rounds, I try to leave them after I shell,or cuts made on the opposite side from the surface you are shelling. For example, if you make a block cut a pocket out you need to make sure there is room for the 2 wall thickness ( pocket wall and outer wall) to be created by the shell. Once you get a feel for it's limitationsis not too bad.

No flames here dl, I just had to hammer thru the shell to get to the nut
smiley2.gif

Mr.Plastic

flame lol

dlongmi: Thanks for the enlightenment

I couldnt log on due to a cookie problem (i was using firefox)

i used to do cuts, but i thought i would use the shell command since i want to make a shell right?

And can i draft the sides after applying the shell? with cuts its straight forward..

I will just make a nice cut that will have the same effect as the shell and it will be sort of bug free

Thanks all, i don't have any more questions about the shell feature!

Is this the type of shell you want? (see image) If so, shell, like you want to -removing the tops of both volumes, then add a protrusion back under the center wall using edges of the wall that had been cut away. This way you have no dimensions to worry about (the shell drives all walls.) Let me know what you think.

JesseView attachment 515

View attachment 517The shell allows you to set multiple offsets. So each wall can have a different thickness. IF you want to you can set the shell distance to match the width of the protrusion on the right, leaving what you want.

NOTICE THE BIG IF...

This may have unwanted consequences later....but in a pinch.....

Personally I'd use cuts.
Edited by: kvision

hi kvision, thanks for replying

well that is the sort of part i am making but it has 3 more posts on the right side.that was my first move to get around thisso i just selected the surface and changed the thickness but pro/e didnt like thatbecause there are some more features on the right

i think the shell command has to evolve so you can actually use it inengineering modelling, i think everybody know that even the simpliest thing has a lot of features whenis to be injection moulded

download the file and try it your self 2004-11-14_121022_org_2.prt.zip

Edited by: it123

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back