Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Repeat Region - occassional missing info

SunTzur

I have assembly Formats that incorporate Repeat Regions to display the Part Number, Description,and Quantity for each item in assy model (BOM). Occassionally, and seemingly randomly, I have one model that does not have it's description represented in the BOM. The part number (model name) and quantity do show up, just not the description.

I also have the occassional situation where allof the descriptions are missing. I reinsert the Format and they come back (not in the case if only one is missing though, that will remain missing no matter what I seem to do).

Using Wildfire 2.0, is there a solution? Any thoughts on why this happens?

PRStock said:
Check to see if all the parts have a description parameter.

They all have the same Format which includest he Description parameter. I don't know where to set this parameter from the PRT. Is that an option?

I don't have a solution, but I just wanted to say the same thing is happening to me in WF2. I've never had all the parameters diasappear, but occasionally the description is missing -but the missing description will show up OK in a different assembly.

I've seen this happen when parameter values are missing or the same in different models and they get reported in the BOM on the same row. Check the part quantities to make sure they are what you expect. The parameter values are set in part by selecting Tools>Parameters from the menu.

I have seen weird behavior in repeat regions when some of the parts are missing parameters. Sometimes only a few of the parts show up or the quantities get screwed up. This is almost always when using a filter.

If you are having problems identifying which parts are missing parameters, make up a new drawing with a repeat region. Add the parameters you are looking for and do not put in any filters. This will allow you to see all of the parts at once and determine which parts need the parameter added.

Another idea would be to use the "exists" function. Look in the Help file for it's use. You can write a repeat region relation to look to see if a parameter exists. If it does, you can show it but if it doesn't, you can set it to show something else. I think it is something like this:

!!! Corrected syntax - This will work!!! You have to wrap the parameter in quotes!!!

if exists("
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
moz-screenshot-3.jpg
asm_mbr_description")
rpt_desc =
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
moz-screenshot-3.jpg
asm_mbr_description
else
rpt_desc = "MISSING PARAMETER"
endif

I might be a little off on the syntax, but this is the gist of it.

Jim

Edited by: conrat

I've found this to happen when parts have the same part number, different description. (Using a part number parameter instead of the model name in the repeat region). This is usually caused by me copying a part and forgetting to change all the parameters.

Try adding "asm.mbr.name" to one of the fields in the repeat region. When all else fails, this seems to be the fix. I just had this happen again today.

What I do is add it, then I make the text height something like 0.001, whic makes it nearly invisible in a PDF or print.

Jim

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back