Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Renaming models

phoxeoy

Is it possible to change the name of a model without losing the detail
drawing? Everytime I have to change the name of the model I have to do
the detail drawing all over again because of course it can't find the
old model because the name changed. So I have to delete themodel out of
the drawing and add the newly named model and start the views and
dimensions all over again. This really sucks big donkey you know what.

When you rename the model make sure the drawing is in session as
well. Rename the model and then make sure to save the drawing.

When you rename, make sure you have set the working directory to the to the one in which the file is in. My experience is that if you do not, it will rename, yet the old version will still be present.

Jason

open both the Drawing and Model

Rename the Model-save it

Goto drawing Now the drawing will refer to the new model name automatically, if not regenerate once.

then donot forget to save the drawing.

for the Old drwind you already created...........

open the part you already renamed,change the name to the Old one.

open the drawing.. now it wonot fail to open.

now do the same procedure as above.

siva

actually, you don't use save as if you want the part with the new name updated in the assembly... you can use allen's method... on top of that, make sure that the asembly is in session and remember to save the assembly...

How to get a parking near to your office in town.

Get up at night. Drive with your car to town and locate a free parking space close to your office. Phone home to your wife to ask her to come and pick you up. Remember that you should have taken your mobile and have checked that the phone at home wasn't off the hook. When she arrives, get your car out of the space and put her car in place. Drivehome. In the morning drive to work. Remember to take your wife with you. When arrived near your office, locate the place where you've put your wifes car. Let her get out of your car, into hers and free the space. Now drive into the free space and park your car. This will only work when your car isn't larger than hers and Venus is not in Pisces.

Alex

AHA-D said:

Get up at night. Drive with your car to town and locate a free parking space close to your office. Phone home to your wife to ask her to come and pick you up. Remember that you should have taken your mobile and have checked that the phone at home wasn't off the hook. When she arrives, get your car out of the space and put her car in place. Drivehome. In the morning drive to work. Remember to take your wife with you. When arrived near your office, locate the place where you've put your wifes car. Let her get out of your car, into hers and free the space. Now drive into the free space and park your car. This will only work when your car isn't larger than hers and Venus is not in Pisces.

Alex

Belgian humor...
smiley2.gif

Is this meant to imply that there is a much easier way to do it? Of course, I've got Intralink - so its kind of a no brainer for me (good thing).

Scottm,

Just wanted to illustrate the weird workarounds you have to go through to make ProE accept something simple.

There are much easier ways to get this done, alas not in ProE but in other CAD. Would you believe that I cancopy a model into a new standalone file,work onthe model inthe copied file, open the original drawing and change the link so that it does not point to the original but to the copy and get a decent drawing ? "Smart" CAD sees that the model is the same, that all dimensional links can be re-established to features with thesame internal ID, and only detaches those dimensions that refer to features that have been removed. Life can be that easy ...

Alex

Surely you jest. How can the technology exist for such an astounding feat and Pro-E has not yet implemented it? The mind boggles...
smiley5.gif

I, for one, think its very important that when I have 2 versions of a part (not in a family table) that I should have to replace and redefine it if I want to switch it out. It keeps me sharp. It builds character. If there was an easier way to do it I might get lazy and complacent.
smiley19.gif

Perhaps every Pro-E user should have this placard above their desk.

"That which does not kill you - only makes you stronger"

>>I, for one, think its very important that when I have 2 versions of a part (not in a family table) that I should have to replace and redefine it if I want to switch it out.

If you're swapping these components out repeatedly, or if there are many children that fail after replacing, you could look into using an Interchange Assembly (aka Interchange Group).

(Note: This post is unrelated to original question...)

-Brian
Edited by: Brian_Adkins

All you have to do is make sure that the drawing file has the exact same name as the part file. (ex: 12345.prt.1 & 12345.drw.1). Set the config.pro option "rename_drawings_with_object" to "BOTH" and when you rename the model, it will automatically create a new drawing file that is dependent on the new model. It will retain any formats, notes, tables,etc. that was in the original drawing. I use this feature all the time, even in the manufacturing of similar parts. While in manufacturing mode, make copy. Rename the models within the assembly, and it creates the new models and drawings, even setup drawings from the manufacturing assembly. Then all you have to do is modify the new models, double check the drawing & manufacturing, and you have just created drawings and CNC code for the new part.

AHA-D said:

Get up at night. Drive with your car to town and locate a free
parking space close to your office. Phone home to your wife to ask her
to come and pick you up. Remember that you should have taken your
mobile and have checked that the phone at home wasn't off the hook.
When she arrives, get your car out of the space and put her car in
place. Drivehome. In the morning drive to work. Remember to take
your wife with you. When arrived near your office, locate the place
where you've put your wifes car. Let her get out of your car, into hers
and free the space. Now drive into the free space and park your car.
This will only work when your car isn't larger than hers and Venus is
not in Pisces.

Alex

The organised user will have model names right first time, failing that
they should certainly be correct before drawings are created. This
greatly reduces the requirement to rename. While renaming in Pro/E can
be a hassle, moving files between folders (promoting to the library) is
an absolute dream compared to some "competing" CAD systems.

And as for the car parking analogy, at least we have a car to park. A
moped is easy to park but not much good for long distances or towing
heavy loads. You look for the CD player and it isn't there and when you
finally decide that it can't hack the pace you can't drop a V8 engine
into it.

I have been forced to use two other CAD systems at times during the past 12 months
and I was quite amazed by the functionality that they didn't have but I
suppose some people will never miss what they never had in the first
place.

DB

Edited by: Dell_Boy

Mr siva,

As u said we can do for some parts and its dependent drawings not for 200+ parts.Please try another solutions.

Thanks for ur response.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back