Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Rename without Pro/e

kirancitd

hi all,

anybody knows how to rename a part file and its drawing with out opening pro/e. Directly it may not be possible but some tools are there to do it like purge tools.

Just use windows explorer
smiley5.gif

You can just rename the file on disk (through Windows Explorer), however, if that file is referenced by other files you'll break the link.

Drawing files can be pretty safely renamed, assemblies are sometimes OK as long as there isn't a drawing and it isn't in another assembly. Parts are the most risky.

Renaming anything in ProE by any means can be no problem at all - at best - and the start of a nightmare at worst.

Been there, done that ... (even with Intralink).

kirancitd said:
Windows Explorer?
smiley11.gif
smiley18.gif
How?
smiley5.gif

Find the directory of the part file that you are after. make sure you have "deleted older versions" so that you find the correct most upto date .part file... same with the drawing, then as per usual in windows explorer, right click - rename.

If the .part file that you are renaming is part of an assembly for instance, your assy will fail until you redefine the assy pointing to the new named file.

Ive not had any problems doing this, however my filing system is not too complicated
smiley1.gif

[-Skint- said:
If the .part file that you are renaming is part of an assembly for instance, your assy will fail until you redefine the assy pointing to the new named file.

You cannot just 'point Pro|E to the new named file' in the assy. You can go find a missing component, but Pro|E will only let you search for files with the old name. You have to delete the old named part from the assy and re-assemble the new named part. An important distinction.

Also, if a drawing looses it's model because of a rename, you cannot open it. Period.

So, tread lightly and make sure you know what files are linked.

dgs, ok good point, i stand corrected
smiley17.gif
... like i say, my file system is not too tight so dont really have many issues.

But renaming a .part file is pretty simple through explorer. Its not hard to delete-re-assign the new part either, so perhaps this is good enough solution for kirancitd :)

No worries, just wanted to make sure that was understood.
smiley4.gif

I've worked on pro|E for 10 years and have never touched Intralink. Renaming without it can be painful, but if you're diligent and know the rules and relationships, it can be done. Some can be done outside of Pro|E, some cannot.

I once had a production ready project of a couple hundred files (parts, assys, sub assys and drawings, including multiple family table driven items) that had to be renamed to the customer's P/N's. (The customer refused to assign P/Ns until the end.) It took me a week, full time, including several oops moments where I broke a drawing or assy and had to go back.

I learned a lot from that. Probably accounts for a significant amount of my hair loss too.
smiley17.gif

dgs said:
I learned a lot from that. Probably accounts for a significant amount of my hair loss too.
smiley17.gif

Haha rather you than me ! Oh..Pro-e contributes to hair loss
smiley5.gif
No wonder im almost bald after 1 yr of using pro-e
smiley17.gif

Edited by: [-Skint-]

Hi,

When a rename causes an assembly to fail, because the old name cannot be found, rather than delete the part out of the assembly, and reassemblr the new part,

go clip suppress, get out of the assembly without saving, open the part under its new name, rename it (temporarily) back to the old file name, then open the assembly, and rename the file in the context of the assembly. Now make sure to save the assembly, and all should be well.

My 2 cts(Canadian, as it is on par with the USD)
smiley2.gif

Sip

dgs said:
I once had a production ready project of a couple hundred files (parts, assys, sub assys and drawings, including multiple family table driven items) that had to be renamed to the customer's P/N's. (The customer refused to assign P/Ns until the end.) It took me a week, full time, including several oops moments where I broke a drawing or assy and had to go back.

yup This is the problem what i am facing. you had it once i am facing this problem regularly and we are not having intralink.

Our assemblies contains almost 200 parts and their drawings. renaming these things one by one. sometimes proe will exit withut savung the assembly this causes lot of headache. I think i already started losing my hair.
smiley19.gif

anybody please help me. I dont want to lose my hair
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif

Drawings and Assembly names will cause the majority of problems if you have single part drawings you can open the proe file with a text editor and search replace Partname.PRT with Newname.PRT and fix it that way otherwise just use Find Component and pick the renamed file. For Assemblys as long it is an identical part it should have no problems when you use Find Component to replace it. I wish Pro/E had a better file management system like solid edge which allows you to replace file references by clicking the previous link and replacing it with a new file.

The other thing that helps is to rename the part to it's original name and then doing a rename or rename in session combo like i've seen mentioned in other psts.

Michael

I still use Pro 2001, but i think in Pro/3.0 , it is the same, if you have a single part ( this part not link with another assembly, drawing, manufacturing .. file) you can rename it simple in microfost windows,it's no problem. but if your file u want to rename in link another a file : assembly .... first you open this assembly , in model tree , right click the part u want to rename, click open, in a new window of this part, click File, rename, enter a new name then save this part, close this part, active the assembly file, regenerate this file !!
hope it will help u !!

Hi Michael,

Through find component i think it will not accept a renamed file to replace.

Hi Phucxoxo,

I am not asking how to rename the parts. My problem is how to rename the parts, drawings & assemblies wothout using proe and also with out loosing associativity btn files.

somebody had posteda findmymother exe file...I think it was Vlad.

You can atleast find all the parts and assemblies that references the part/drawing that you wish to rename. Load the assemblies and drawings into session. and then rename.

This is a safe method especially if you have referenced the partts into many assemblies / parts / drawings...

I did not have the need to try this since we had intralink.

mjcole_ptc said:
... you can open the proe file with a text editor and search replace Partname.PRT with Newname.PRT and fix it that way ...
That worked in older releases, not sure exactly when it stopped working, maybe WF1. Definitely will not work in WF2 & up.

It was a great work-around, PTC killed it on purpose to have another reason why you should buy windkill.

kirancitd said:
dg's said:

yup This is the problem what i am facing. you had it once i am facing this problem regularly and we are not having intralink.

Our assemblies contains almost 200 parts and their drawings. renaming these things one by one. sometimes proe will exit without saving the assembly this causes lot of headache. I think i already started losing my hair.
smiley19.gif

anybody please help me. I dont want to lose my hair
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif
smiley19.gif

In the case I referred to, we had warned the customer repeatedly, early in the design phase that they needed to get us the P/N's or it would be costly later. They didn't, and we charged them to do the rename because they waited so long. They agreed to it because of the timing.

If you're facing this regularly, I'd push for a change to the system. One thing we offered the customer in my example was to leave the file names as is, but they wanted it renamed to the P/N. Consistent communication meant that they got the rename they wanted and we got paid to do it. With a current customer we have who does not release P/N's until the design is nearly done, we came up with our own naming convention that we could use without P/N's. That was fine with them. Again, communication solved the problem.

Perhaps there's an alternate system you can work out to avoid this renaming headache. In many cases, those outside of the Pro|E world don't understand the headache involved and once they do, new alternatives open up.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back