Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

referencing changing parts for drawings

fwilson

Hello. I have a complicated part that references a very complicated drawing that I don't want to have to re-do. I have been making new "save as" parts from the origional part, so I have multiple variations of that part. I also want the new parts to be referenced by new drawings, that are a continuation of the old drawings (so I don't have to start from scratch with the new drawings). Basically, as of now, the only way I can think to have the drawing change as I want it, is to modify a save as copy part, but then I loose the old drawing. Is there a way to separate these? I hope that was clear enough. Thanks.

Fwilson,

simply open the part and the associated drawing, save the part as a new name, than save the drawing as a new name. now you have two parts and two drawings with different names butare the same. make your modifcations to your new part and your new drawing, save. now you have two different parts and different drawings both with different names. repeat as needed.

good luck.,
smiley32.gif

wow, I thought I tried that, but it worked. The new drawing knew to be referenced by the new open part, not the old part. The trick is not to use save as copy. Thanks.

fwilson

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back