Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

References to additional 3d geometry

mgnt8

WF 2.0 M090, I get the following message in sketcher: "References to Additional 3d geometry may not be made; please select again."

Has anyone else seen this & why? How do I select again when it won't let me select at all?

I've seen it - it's because you have something that is dependant on the feature you're trying to modify. Use the info>parent/child to find out what features are dependant on the feature you're trying to modify, and figure out what it is in those children that are not allowing you to modify that parent, andchange the child to not reference that parent, or the certain part of that parent (such as an edge, etc), if you can. Hope this helps!

In my experience, this almost always means that you have a mirror-geom feature that comes after the sketch you are redefining. Try deleting the mirror and then you'll be able to select additional references in sketcher. Then re-create the mirror.

I think this was put in place several revs ago to prevent accidental circular references or something.

-Brian
Edited by: Brian_Adkins

Thanks, it looks like I've got children dependent on the sketcher geometry and the feature was patterned. After redefining I'm now able to delete & select references. I don't see why I got this error message now. Usually it either prompts me that the geometry is referenced by other features or the subsequentchildren fail.

ahhhh, yes, but NOT when the dependant children are patterns!!! And it will only warn you if the exact sketcher reference you're trying to delete (e.g. an edge) is referenced directly by another feature (e.g. a round)... sometimes you'll have a dependant feature but it won't be referencing anything in the sketch, but rather the whole feature (patterns!!)

smiley5.gif

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back