Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

reference pattern on a rotational pattern

sekar_mech02

hi

Here the attached image has two patterns, i.e one protrusion & hole on the protrusion. I created protrusion and patterned it. But after creating a hole on the protrusion, i cannot make a reference pattern over the protrusion.

How to make the hole pattern has reference pattern feature of the protrusion. (i can make the hole pattern independently.)

regards
r.sView attachment 5726

For reference pattern your first positioning reference i.e. first hole reference needs to be one of the references on the first member of the basic pattern. If you want to place hole to the center of the oval protrusion, you can create axis or use axis of first member of oval protrusion e.g. by creating Axis point in the protrusion and then place the hole to be coaxial to that axis.

Now you can create pattern of the oval protrusion and then create reference pattern of hole.

Remember to reference hole only to references valid for the pattern.

Hope this helps.

hi.,

I tried to create the model as per your suggestions but unsuccessful in creating a axis itself. can you upload a model similar like this with your suggestion!!

regards
r.s

Redefine ovalextrude and select the Axis Point from the Sketch menu. Place it and dimension it. Confirm. You should now see the axis protruding the oval extrude.

Now, create a hole and select that axis as a primary reference and then switch to secondary references and select planar surface of the oval extrude. Confirm.

Create pattern of the oval extrude by selecting Dimension or Axis type of pattern. When done, select hole feature and then select Pattern option to create reference pattern.

Here is what you are looking for. (wildfire 5)
In WF 5 the point is called a geometry point not an axis
point but otherwise it is the same
<a target="_blank" href="uploads/tgsp/2012-09-05_115145_ref-
<br / target="_blank">pattern.prt.rar">2012-09-05_115145_ref-
pattern.prt.rar</a>

Hi Skraba & Tgsp.,

Thanks for the suggestion. I did it :).Thanks for explaining clearly. One more thing, if it is hole, we have geometry point and the axis is used as reference.

Incase, if it nt a hole and something like a rectangular cut instead of a hole, how to proceed it for a reference pattern??

Meanwhile, i can't download the model provided by tgsp. the redirection of link says mcad central is undergoing maintenance.

Anyhow i did it!

Thanks a lot guys!!

regards
r.s

Edited by: sekar_mech02

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back