Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Purpose of config.sup files...

jelston

What is the purpose of a config.sup file. I can only use the first mapkey posted in it and pro/e will not recognize any config.pro files except the one that i specify in the tools--> options section.

A config.sup file is designed for config options that you do not want changed. Optionscontained in a config.sup are 'locked' so that loading later files cannot change them. You can load other config.pro files, but duplicate options will not take effect.

That is why you should not put options in a config.sup that can have more than one specification like 'mapkey' or 'search_path'. Only one of those instances will be allowed.

The solution is to have a small set of options that you want all users to set the same in the config.sup fill (in the loadpoint\text folder) and then have another config.pro file for mapkeysand other options that you don't mind users changing (that can also be in loadpoint\text).

Keep your config.sup small and only put options in there that relate to model quality and data consistency or your users will rebel. Don't put user preference items in there. There's no reason to force everyone to have the bell on (or off), for example, but you might want to ensure that everyone is using the same start part or looking in the same start model directory.

Oooooh. I'm pretty muchset up like you mentioned; I put mapkeys in my "jelston" (forgot what the "pro/e" for it is) config.pro file and the rest in a config.pro that is loaded. Don't really have to worry about a revolt, I usually just argue with myself, i'm the only user. Just wondering are you a Pro/E administrator?
Edited by: jelston

Yep, I'm the admin here as well as a CAD jockey. Not a big installation, only 8 seats.

We've got company config.sup & config.pro, user config.pro and client config.pro's. Except for the client, we then have duplicates of all of them for each version of Pro|E we're running (currently only WF2 & WF3)

Iam a cad admin for50 seats of Pro/E loaded on 120+ computers.

We use the loadpoint config.sup and config.pro files plus config.pro files in the startup folder and the user's home folder. On top of these, we run a mapkey at startup that applies a program/project specific config.pro file.

Like Doug said, mapkeys should never be in a config.pro, as only one mapkey command can be loaded.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back