Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

PTC ProE Downsize for Printing Modeling

oczeretko

I am new to this forum and this software in general. I am using ProE Wildfire 4.0 and have to print out a copy of this model on a cnc in a few days. The problem is that the cnc machines the part .015" larger than the model. That will render the part useless for my purposes. I was wondering if there is any easy way to decrease the size of the models edges by a specific amount? It is a complicated drawing that was done by someone else so redrawing it for me especially would be a large task.

Please let me know if there is anything simple I can use to do this. Thanks

Scaling the model is not the same as offsetting all the surfaces by 0.015"

Offsetting all surfaces is possible, but may not be easy. Select a single surface and then you should be able to right click and select 'solid surfaces'. Then hit copy and paste which will make a surface copy feature. Once you have the surface copy, then select it and select Edit -> Offset and offset it inward by 0.015". This may or may not work, depending on your geometry. Once you have the offset surface,use Edit -> Solidify to use it to cut the extra geometry away.

I'd suggest, however, that your problem lies not in the CAD but in the CNC programming. It sounds like the program was created to leave some material behind, perhaps for a finish pass. I'd take a look there.

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back