Continue to Site

Welcome to MCAD Central

Join our MCAD Central community forums, the largest resource for MCAD (Mechanical Computer-Aided Design) professionals, including files, forums, jobs, articles, calendar, and more.

Protusion by Quilt

amd450

My problem began when I tryed do a round between a plane and a surface with differents values (say thickness), my intension was do a round, but how I didnt got, I created some surfaces to do this, apparently my surface is closed (the color stayed magenta), but when I'll go do protusion by quilt, appear a mistake. The file has 730Kb is somebody want help me I stayed very glad. I attached a image to show my problem

Thanks

Andre Almeida

View attachment 81

Andre,

Your lip starts on a position where a tangent line starts. I Think that is the problem. Solve this by:

1. Cut a tine edge of the base of your lip so it does not end at the tangent line.

2. Try a surf-surf radius between the side of the lip and the surface on the other side where the tangent line starts.

I think the problem of getting your quilt solid lies in the same area of the tangent line. Try area offsetting the sides that touch your solid part in the direction of the solid.

It's difficult to explain with no picture, but you can try.

Creating geometry with surfaces is good when it becomes too complex, so its a good start. But you should create your complete part in surfaces.

Huug

It is difficult to understand what your problem is. Try a Surf/Surf round. I would also question why you are using surfaces? Unless you have a valid reason for using surfaces to create a solid model, use solid features.

Why you create that feature with surface. Can you make it simple by protrusion? Than you will solve your problem. Your work are not bad, but that

I tried do round surf-surf, but appear a mistake, the frontal plane of lip isnt align with a plane of base frontal, the surface where the

Am still trying to understand what everyone's saying here.

However, one observation is that there is a double edge on the farside edge that get very close to each other at the ends.

Is there a geom-check for this feature ? You may have self-intersecting surfaces on this feature in which case you won't be able to do squat.

I'm also curious as to why you're using surfaces and some more detail on the construction would be a help.

To attach the file, post a reply and click the paperclip icon at the upper right corner of your reply. Make sure you zip it up. It only allows zip files. ( see http://www.winzip.com )

Perhaps you should use a patch feature.

To do a patch:

1. boundaries of the quilt MUST lie on the solid geometry

2. remove surfaces from the quilt that lie on solid

3. boundaries of the quilt that lie on the solid should appear in yellow color

4. create a patch feature

I hope that it helps.

lpP

Forget it - drop this model like a ton of bricks.

Surface extensions, UDFs, surface merges, boundary surfaces, vss, draft, copy geom, unnecessary features, datum curves/planes/points/axes up the wazoo. The VSS has hard edges where there should be tangent edges.

243 features just for this - hold your head in shame !!!

What are trying to do ? Get practice in creating boatloads of features because that's all this model is good for.

Recommend you take a minimal approach to surface features - using these for the mounting lugs is way overkill...

Sorry, I sent a file that had some features that I'm not using (DRAFT, some Curves and UDF) anyway my idea was do a round so I did many things to do this, how I had many doubts, I asked for you.

Check this model out...

View attachment 319

Boundary surfaces, surface merges, make-datums and thin features are used throughout - the key to understanding this modeling approach is to know the principals of surface merges.

It's missing 4 of the tabs but it's only 48 features so you should find it easy to research.

There are no VSSs - in 12 years of modeling the most complicated parts imaginable I've never used any of these other than in class.

Thanks of your help Dougr, I have only some months that I creat parts, so to me appear many doubts and any person to help me. Congratulations for the creator of Page, Jason Turke and everything that help me.

Andre Almeida

To add my 2 cents... I use VSS all the time. They are essential to me for creating proper draft on molded parts. If you are creating a boundary surface along a 3D curve which needs to be properly drafted at one edge, you need a VSS / Pivot Dir construction surface to establish the tangency for the boundary surface. I agree with dougr on the minimalist approach for surfaces. I use them for exterior faces of parts, but for bosses and ribs, I always try to use solids.

There is one more item overlooked here. Sometimes, Pro/E will not create a feature unless you increase your part accuracy (Setup/Accuracy). This is frowned upon, but sometimes is your only resolution if you know the feature should be able to be created. I am willing to bet raising part accuracy would have allowed the fillet to be created.

Hello:

i was reviewing the model, and y saw some issues to fix, the model was created with quilt's wich are not attached to the solid, even when you see the model as simple one solid, this model is divided in diferents models, I mean, the protrusions are not attached one each other, when you create a close quilt, it will be out of the model, just try to project the surface solid to avoid this situations. that is why the round can not be projected to the solid.

i hope this help

This is a very good source......

:)

Sponsor

Articles From 3DCAD World

Back